Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

New Arrival

Afraid to travel so booking a quick flight isn't an option, but I just noticed I'm only 4000points from earning CP. My December credit card points just posted so more charges there won't help. 

Ideas to earn these points before year end without travel?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Top Contributor

A hotel stay completed in 2020 would work.  Some shopping through the Rapid Rewards Shopping portal might post, but that's hit or miss.

Check here for more details: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

 

--TheMiddleSeat

4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Active Member

@TheMiddleSeat That would be assuming that the points posted in 2 days, which has never happened in my experience.  @Kelliesahm I'm not sure why you're addressing this with 3 days to go?  I'm sure this has been in the back of your mind for some time.   Without travel, it really is going to happen, IMO.

 

 

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Top Contributor

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat That would be assuming that the points posted in 2 days, which has never happened in my experience.  @Kelliesahm I'm not sure why you're addressing this with 3 days to go?  I'm sure this has been in the back of your mind for some time.   Without travel, it really is going to happen, IMO.

 

 


Actually, there are several ways to qualify for CP points for the current year even though the points don't post until next year.

 

Refer to the link posted by themiddleseat for details

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Active Member

@dfwskier I stand corrected.  Unfortunately, I was pulling thoughts from when my credit card posted after the first of the year with tons of December purchases, (which is why it now becomes due on the 26th of each month)  So I did jump the gun on this one, so hopefully, I'm not like many who won't retract or admit error, I'm doing so.  In viewing the link @TheMiddleSeat posted, there are multiple ways to get a CP, HOWEVER, when they are posted are at the least, 4 weeks and as long as 8 weeks.  However, since @Kelliesahm is not comfortable with flying for the immediate future those being posted as late as late February won't matter, they get their CP.  So with that said, a motel room would be a quick fix, but would have to be done today or tomorrow.  I've gotten as many as 4K on a night's stay bumping up the bouns on a 2K a night stay.  

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Top Contributor

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@dfwskier I stand corrected.  Unfortunately, I was pulling thoughts from when my credit card posted after the first of the year with tons of December purchases, (which is why it now becomes due on the 26th of each month)  S  

Smart move having  your Chase card statement closing date changed to the 26th.  o

 

At this point on the 31st, the only ways to try to get CP qualifying points this year are:

 

1) Shopping today

2) Dining  today

3) Flying today

 

Since hotel stays and rent cars  use must end today to qualify for this years CP qualifying points, 

getting a hotel room for tonight and checking out tomorrow would not count - same with a rent car turned in tomorrow.

 

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Employee
Employee

@dfwskier wrote:

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@dfwskier I stand corrected.  Unfortunately, I was pulling thoughts from when my credit card posted after the first of the year with tons of December purchases, (which is why it now becomes due on the 26th of each month)  S  

Smart move having  your Chase card statement closing date changed to the 26th.  o

 

At this point on the 31st, the only ways to try to get CP qualifying points this year are:

 

1) Shopping today

2) Dining  today

3) Flying today

 

Since hotel stays and rent cars  use must end today to qualify for this years CP qualifying points, 

getting a hotel room for tonight and checking out tomorrow would not count - same with a rent car turned in tomorrow.

 


To earn 4,000 points, how much would one need to spend at a restaurant? I'd like to daydream about this hypothetical New Year's Eve feast @Kelliesahm would have to enjoy.

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Top Contributor

@ksbrg wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@dfwskier I stand corrected.  Unfortunately, I was pulling thoughts from when my credit card posted after the first of the year with tons of December purchases, (which is why it now becomes due on the 26th of each month)  S  

Smart move having  your Chase card statement closing date changed to the 26th.  o

 

At this point on the 31st, the only ways to try to get CP qualifying points this year are:

 

1) Shopping today

2) Dining  today

3) Flying today

 

Since hotel stays and rent cars  use must end today to qualify for this years CP qualifying points, 

getting a hotel room for tonight and checking out tomorrow would not count - same with a rent car turned in tomorrow.

 


To earn 4,000 points, how much would one need to spend at a restaurant? I'd like to daydream about this hypothetical New Year's Eve feast @Kelliesahm would have to enjoy.


You get 3 points per dollar at most restaurants so you would need to spend $1,334 and they would have to order from 2 places as some restaurants have a $1,000 maximum per month. I would say that should be a really good dinner. 

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

Top Contributor

Easy to get there via dining tonight.  Just order a bottle of very expensive bubbly - a once in a lifetime experience.

 

A bottle of  

Dom Perignon Reserve De L'Abbaye will set you back about $1150/bottle.

 

Or if you really want to splurge 

Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon Charles & Diana 1961 will set you back about  $4800/bottle.

 

Of course if you are really , really   rich and you want to get lots and lots of points (if the restaurant allows)  

Goût De Diamants, Taste Of Diamonds goes for $2,070,000 / bottle  

 
 
A bottle of Dom Perignon, an order of burgers , fries, and cheesecake for desert  would be a memorable NYE meal -- and you'd get 4000+ RR points!!
 
What  deal
 
🤠🤠🤠

Re: 4000 pts from CP - afraid to travel.

New Arrival

Thanks @TheMiddleSeat!

 

@SWFlyer007 feel better? Adding criticism of every aspect of this question/answer without any actual value while spouting flat out wrong info of your own? Cool. Just scroll on next time.