Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A List-Companion-Rebook extend current benefits

jfcpwc
Explorer C

I realize Southwest is looking at all of their current programs but will not commit to extending those benefits yet.  I received an notification from Delta Airlines yesterday stating they will extend their current travel programs and extend their rebooking dates. (See below). 

Extensions for SkyMiles Members: I appreciate how much you value your Status and benefits, which is why we’re making adjustments so you can continue to enjoy them whenever you’re ready to travel again. You will see these updates automatically reflected in MyProfile/MyWallet before they go into effect.
Medallion Status: Your current Medallion Status will automatically be extended through 2021 whether or not you requalify. In addition, all of your 2020 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) will be rolled over in 2021. If you are enrolled in Status promotions, you will also receive additional flexibility to complete those requirements.

Program travel benefits: Eligible Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members will get more time to enjoy benefits, including Companion Certificates and the $100 Delta flight credits. SkyMiles Members with Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers will also have additional time to enjoy those benefits.
Additional flexibility: We heard your feedback that you want the value of your tickets to be secure and redeemable for a longer period, so we have extended the ability to plan, re-book and travel for up to two years. We’ve waived change fees for your trips through May 31, 2022 if you have travel booked in April or May as of April 3, 2020, or canceled travel/eCredits from flights in March, April or May 2020. You can also change new tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, without a change fee for up to a year from the date of purchase.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: A List-Companion-Rebook extend current benefits

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Some sort of extension and/or modification of requirements will be coming, stand by.

--TheMiddleSeat

Mgrisar16
Explorer C

This is great of Delta and now I want to know if southwest will extend including companion pass. I traveled a great deal last year and earned the Companion for the first time and now I can’t even use it.

im hoping SWA comes around and extends or I plan on finding a new airline of choice 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mgrisar16 wrote:

im hoping SWA comes around and extends or I plan on finding a new airline of choice 

So you plan on leaving to join an airline that does not offer a companion pass type benefit?

No other airline does.

If you want to shoot yourself in the foot, that is your choice.

tdkirk
Explorer C

I also am hoping that SWA will extend A-list Preferred & Companion Pass status until Jan 2022. That is the only right thing to do in my opinion. I've had both of these statuses for the past several years and would hate to lose them due to something outside of my control.  AS with Delta, United Airlines is also extending their status levels to cover all of 2021.

tdkirk_0-1586264726580.png

Greeno
Explorer C

United is also extending their benefits and making them easier to earn for 2021 due to the inability to fly right now and earn rewards. I've been flying SW for over 10 years (almost exclusively if possible) and they WILL do something to help with this situation. Right now their focus is on what is MOST important and that is current travel and safety. I have no doubt you will see something soon regarding their decision and they will be fair, as they always are! 

Sycamore1987
Explorer C

I am going on two years in a row of both A-list preferred and Companion pass.  My sense is that after the tactical challenges of the pandemic have been addressed then there will be time for SWA to assess these program issues.  Like most everyone else, I've traveled almost exclusively on SWA to gain the benefits of A-List preferred (primarily) and companion pass (secondly).  I use the Chase SWA credit card for as many purchases as possible, spend more on Business Select fares for personal travel during promotional periods, and book all business travel through SWA, even when it isn't the most convenient route available.  

It would not appear that extending the programs into 2021 for all of us would be a huge impact on cost for SWA, because travel is and will remain low for the rest of the year.  I would greatly appreciate this type of consideration.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sycamore1987 wrote:

I am going on two years in a row of both A-list preferred and Companion pass.  My sense is that after the tactical challenges of the pandemic have been addressed then there will be time for SWA to assess these program issues.  Like most everyone else, I've traveled almost exclusively on SWA to gain the benefits of A-List preferred (primarily) and companion pass (secondly).  I use the Chase SWA credit card for as many purchases as possible, spend more on Business Select fares for personal travel during promotional periods, and book all business travel through SWA, even when it isn't the most convenient route available.  

It would not appear that extending the programs into 2021 for all of us would be a huge impact on cost for SWA, because travel is and will remain low for the rest of the year.  I would greatly appreciate this type of consideration.

If you want to let the Rapid Rewards team know this directly you should use the "Contact Us" link to voice your opinion directly to Southwest. This community is peer-to-peer, although staff will chime in on items from time to time it isn't a direct customer support pathway.

I agree though, the rewards generate loyalty and vice versa, it wouldn't help either side to ignore the impact of reduced travel - Southwest will need its loyal customers back when thing return to normal (or new normal) and I would expect them to do something.

That said, the A-List and ALP are directly Southwest's programs for rewarding frequent flyers. Companion Pass however can be either earned from flights, from credit purchases, or combination of both. Chase may need to be in on the deal if they contribute towards the CP holders, I'm not sure how that works exactly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.