Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Confusion

Guidrs
Explorer C

I was wondering if someone from SW could shed some light on being a A-List traveler? I travel at least twice a week for work and earn points to use for personal use, which has come in handy. However, I have noticed something. I am an A-List Preferred member, but I only get to board after all the A's have. For all other airlines (which I use as well depending on Southwest's availability and time to get somewhere) and have status with them as well but, I get to board earlier. The odd thing, is with other airlines I have an assigned seat. However, with SW seats are "pick one once onboard". By having an A-List status, shouldn't it be an recognized by allowing those members to board prior to the "A's"? With this status, I should not have to feel compelled to purchase an early boarding pass, since I spend well more than $15-$30 per week on airline tickets with SW. Could someone from SW shed some light on Southwest's thought on this.    

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A-List Confusion

dfwskier
Aviator A

Not every A Lister gets an A boarding position. If there are 65 A listers  on board, some will get B boaring positions.

If you buy your ticket less than 24 hours before departure, you get what's left of the boarding spots at the time .you actually check in. Automatic check in only happens for those that buy tickets at least 36 hours before flight time.

The good   news is that A Listers in either of the above situations get to board right after A60 does. In essence they become A61, A62 etc, etc, etc

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Clarify "but I only get to board after all the A's have".   This could be taken various ways so please clarify exactly what you mean.

Is A-list status showing on your boarding pass?  Are you purchasing flights more than 36 hours before departure?

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yeah... something isn't adding up here.

A-Listers are checked in automatically and receive boarding positions beginning with A-16. And A-List Preferred members are assigned positions ahead of regular A-Listers.

If you're not getting an A boarding position (likely A-16 thru A-35ish) there's something wrong.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Guidrs wrote:

I was wondering if someone from SW could shed some light on being a A-List traveler? I travel at least twice a week for work and earn points to use for personal use, which has come in handy. However, I have noticed something. I am an A-List Preferred member, but I only get to board after all the A's have. For all other airlines (which I use as well depending on Southwest's availability and time to get somewhere) and have status with them as well but, I get to board earlier. The odd thing, is with other airlines I have an assigned seat. However, with SW seats are "pick one once onboard". By having an A-List status, shouldn't it be an recognized by allowing those members to board prior to the "A's"? With this status, I should not have to feel compelled to purchase an early boarding pass, since I spend well more than $15-$30 per week on airline tickets with SW. Could someone from SW shed some light on Southwest's thought on this.    

$30/week doesn't sound like A-list Preferred spending rate to me, maybe your estimate is low?

Look at your boarding pass. If you have your information entered correctly for identification and recognition of status, and if you are buying tickets more than 36 hours in advance, you should see A-list or A-list Preferred on your boarding pass. See if that's on there and let us know. If it isn't on there then you'll know that there is an issue with your credentials or how you are purchasing the tickets. (And that you might need to retroactively request credit for some flights if they aren't being recognized.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

I doubt we'll ever get a reply on this.   Too many things don't make sense.   Sounds like another creative writer at work.