Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Promotion Warning

freqflyer16
Explorer C

A warning to those of you who signed up for the "Keep A-List for all of 2019" promotion from Southwest. Do not change anything about your flight once you book it or Southwest will not count it towards the promotion and might even disqualify you from the promotion. Here's the language from the Terms and Conditions:

"Changes made to any itinerary after purchase of a one-way or round trip revenue flight may eliminate qualification extension of promotional A-List status".

I made the 2 round trips required but I changed the return flight on one of them to return a day early.

My issue is with the word "may". I talked to people at the (800) I-FLY-SWA number who referred me to Customer Relations. I talked to Customer Relations who could not tell me what would or would not eliminate qualification. Their position is that any change disqualifies a flight. If that's true then the word "will" should have been used instead of "may" to eliminate any misunderstandings. I know this seems like nitpicking but the Terms and Conditions are supposed to be legal language.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A-List Promotion Warning

bec102896
Aviator A

I think the "may" means if you changed your flight to be before the qualifying date or after for example if travel must be completed between October 1st and 31st and you changed your October 30th flight to depart on say November 2nd you would then be out of the promotional dates and that flight would not count which could make you not get the A List through 2019 if you would not have completed the required flights before that flight 

hope that helps

Blake 

freqflyer16
Explorer C

Hi Blake, the flight that got changed was within the qualifying window allowed by the promotion. The interpretation of the rule that I got from customer relations was that any change to a reservation for any reason disqualified that roundtrip from the promotion.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's likely the Customer Relations rep you spoke with is incorrect, or is stating a "worst case" scenario.

Were you denied the promotion?

freqflyer16
Explorer C

According to customer relations the round trip flight with the changed itinerary doesn't count for the promotion. I have another round trip flight coming up and I hope this change didn't completely disqualify me.

Tarmijo
Explorer C

Hello All, 

The same thing occurred for my Alist status.  I had 4 round trip flights, which was double the promotion requirements, within the window.  I did change the times on my business select flights but all were well within the window of the promotion. For some reason I still have not been able to get an answer as to why I was disqualified from the promotion.  

Seems like a scam scam to me. 

Terra