Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List and Companion Boarding When Booking Business Select

RussN
Explorer C

I recently took my companion with me on a trip and I purchased a Business Select. they did not get a adjacent number to me.  I can see the reason behind this since there are only 15 spots in Business Select boarding.  However,  since the policy says they get to board with our A-List Preferred status I would think they would board in the area I would normally board if I booked a normal ticket or at least check them in 36 hours in advance.  It seems we get less benefits when we pay more for a ticket.  Now my daughter that is listed as my companion and is only 15 years old now has to book back in the B's and I can tell you I don't feel comfortable leaving her behind while I'm on the plane.  This also discourages me from using Business Select since there is no benefit for my me. I would like to put that as a recommendation.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A-List and Companion Boarding When Booking Business Select

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@RussN wrote:

I recently took my companion with me on a trip and I purchased a Business Select. they did not get a adjacent number to me.  I can see the reason behind this since there are only 15 spots in Business Select boarding.  However,  since the policy says they get to board with our A-List Preferred status I would think they would board in the area I would normally board if I booked a normal ticket or at least check them in 36 hours in advance.  It seems we get less benefits when we pay more for a ticket.  Now my daughter that is listed as my companion and is only 15 years old now has to book back in the B's and I can tell you I don't feel comfortable leaving her behind while I'm on the plane.  This also discourages me from using Business Select since there is no benefit for my me. I would like to put that as a recommendation.  

You're correct that unfortunately Companions don't receive A-Lister boarding benefits when the CP holder is on a BS fare.

Since this is primarily a customer-to-customer forum, your best bet is sending your suggestion directly to Southwest:

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I agree with chgoflyer. If you want t file a complaint, then use the link provided to get to customer relations.

But you have have hit the key phrase without knowing it  when you said "However,  since the policy says they get to board with our A-List Preferred status." The earliest A List Preferred boarding position would be A16.

gsking
Aviator C

I hear you.   My suggestion next time... ask them if she can board with you.   They have let us do this most times. 

Worst case,  you can both board after the A group. We had to do this once. 

Or let her board and join you.   She's fifteen.   No big deal. 

In any case, you will get a good seat. 

dedwards39
Explorer C

I just realized this today. I, too, as did the reservationist the second time I called, assumed they would check them in at a place where I would have been if on one of the other fares.  However, instead I would have to check them in and pay early bird if I wanted them to do so.

I decided to reduce my fare to the Wanna Get Away --  my refund was hefty (back to me). I will look at upgraded boarding at the gate (much cheaper than my Business Select Fare). Otherwise I will take the A-List/A-List Preferred checkin with sequential boarding.  Seems like SWA is leaving money on the table but ... now I know! I will not book Business Select when traveling with my companion.

That said, there seems to be LOTS of confusion over this area. Hopefully SWA either publicizes this ... explains to all agents and gate agents ... and customer service so the same message/policy is being applied.  

aprhansen
Explorer B

I have a post on here from a few months ago with this same situation except my companion is 5. LOTS of confusion within the SWA customer service team and airport staff. I always ask nicely to have her board with me and was only hassled once. I’m A-list now and that resolved the whole issue but it’s still really dumb.