Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List problems

eifan115
Explorer B

So incredibly frustrated with Southwest right now! My most recent flight on Southwest was on Dec  31, 2021 and because it was entered in error toward 2022, they are giving me a run-around about getting A-list! I had 15 qualifying flight legs in 2021 so in addition to the 10 flight leg boost given to Rapid Reward members because of the pandemic, I should now have A-list but I don't. So tired of going in circles with them! And I think it's ironic how customer relations has absolutely no-one you can actually talk to! Email only which is getting old fast. Calling gets me nowhere except to listen how they can do nothing about it. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: A-List problems

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Was the flight flown on Dec 31 part of a round-trip reservation with the 2nd leg in 2022?  That would be the only reason a flight might not count for 2021 when flown in 2021.  Even then, someone should be able to rectify the issue.  What do you mean "entered in error" since no one is manually entering flight data?

You really are better off writing so someone can have the time to research the issue and determine how to resolve it versus putting a phone agent on the spot when they may not have all the needed info/ability to adjust it.

--TheMiddleSeat

eifan115
Explorer B

It was part of a round trip but the second leg was cancelled. We were rebooked on a flight the next day which was also cancelled. We ended up driving home. Would the flight not then be considered a one way? It was still a leg flown on December 31 and according to their A-list status rules, any travel in the calendar year should count. I don't know how the data is entered. I have written to Southwest several times and called a few times. When I call, they tell me to write. I received a response from them denying A-list because the flight I was scheduled for on Jan 4 doesn't count. They don't seem to get that I didn't fly on Jan 4.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That's a tricky one.  Only suggestion I have is to write again explaining that the final flight needed for earning A-List in 2021 was flown on Dec 31 and while it was originally part of a round trip with a return flight scheduled for Jan 4, that portion of the reservation was cancelled.  Since the only flight on the reservation that was actually completed was completed in 2021 all credit for A-List purposes should count towards 2021, not 2022 as is currently happening.

Good luck, it may still not be possible due to some inability to override the computer which is saying it was a 2022 credit, but in my opinion you have a good argument.

--TheMiddleSeat

eifan115
Explorer B

Thank you middleseat! Good to be validated! Hopefully I can get someone at Southwest to agree! Back to the drawing board!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'll echo the comments above: Write, explain the situation clearly and precisely, but keep it short and to the point.

Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@eifan115 wrote:

It was part of a round trip but the second leg was cancelled. We were rebooked on a flight the next day which was also cancelled. We ended up driving home. Would the flight not then be considered a one way? It was still a leg flown on December 31 and according to their A-list status rules, any travel in the calendar year should count. I don't know how the data is entered. I have written to Southwest several times and called a few times. When I call, they tell me to write. I received a response from them denying A-list because the flight I was scheduled for on Jan 4 doesn't count. They don't seem to get that I didn't fly on Jan 4.

This one is sticking with me. What happened when Southwest cancelled the flight and you ended up driving? Did you get a refund for the second leg of travel, or is that lingering in the system somehow keeping the first flight from being closed out?

If you had no-shown for the second flight then the first one would also be wiped out for not completing travel but from the description it was Southwest that canceled the flight?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

eifan115
Explorer B

We did end up driving home and received a credit for the return flight home. I have emailed back to customer relations and submitted all my travel for 2021 and shows the last flight taken on Dec 31st in the am. So now I wait again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Was the flight flown on Dec 31 part of a round-trip reservation with the 2nd leg in 2022?  That would be the only reason a flight might not count for 2021 when flown in 2021.  Even then, someone should be able to rectify the issue.  What do you mean "entered in error" since no one is manually entering flight data?

You really are better off writing so someone can have the time to research the issue and determine how to resolve it versus putting a phone agent on the spot when they may not have all the needed info/ability to adjust it.

--TheMiddleSeat

Even then it should count for 2021 - but the trick is that you have to wait until the whole trip is complete for it to register. 

I'm not sure how this cancellation is affecting it.

Was it past midnight (central time) on December 31st?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

eifan115
Explorer B
Solution

Success! It pays to go to the top! I received an email from Southwest today saying that they reviewed my webform and my email to Gary Kelly and found that an error was made. They rectified the error and I now have A-list status until the end of the year! Happy that they finally did the right thing and I can continue to feel good about flying Southwest.