Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: A-List promotion question

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Acrostar007 wrote:

Same thing happened to me.  Total BS..   Used to really like Southwest but again service not there.  What harm is it to allow some people who should have received it to get it.  I'll be choosing other airlines now in my personal/business travel.  

Alleigiant here I come...

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy.

Southwest told you the rules for the promotion (in order). 

1) Sign up for the deal

2) Book your llights between the start and end date

3) Fly your llights between the start and end date

The IRS tells you you have to file your income tax by a certain date.

You have to renew your car license by a cerain date.

You have to follow those rules. What makes you feel that you can ignore rules that are clearly stated by Southwest?

I've signed up for prior promotions and failed to get them because I did not follow the rules. 

I WAS RESPOSIBLE for screwing up. So I didn't blame someone else.

kdt021
Explorer C

I also received the promotion.   Yesterday I found out that none of my flights booked before 1/29 were eligible.  I have flown multiple times and should have been granted A List for 2018.   I was initially told it takes 6-8 weeks for the system to grant A List, then was told that all the flights I booked before 1/29 didn’t count.   Had I known I would have cancelled and rebooked.  

What Southwest thought was a promotion to gain or entice customers to ‘LOVE’ A List has made me decide I am done with them.   When you have a promotion that is filled with fine print, policies, and other nonsense it becomes ridiculous.  When your customer service agents are flip chart apology factories and are not empowered tells me this company is no longer what it once was. 

Hey Southwest - stop having your CSR people reference policy and procedure and go back to the old tried and true ‘does it pass the common sense test’.    Taking care of your customers used to be a priority, not bait and switch gimmick promotions that leave customers frustrated and angry.   I am done with you.   Good riddance.   This week will be my last week of ever using you for my business and personal travel.   

dfwskier
Aviator A

The promotion told you had to book and fly after a certain date. Did you read it?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kdt021 wrote:

Hey Southwest - stop having your CSR people reference policy and procedure and go back to the old tried and true ‘does it pass the common sense test’.    Taking care of your customers used to be a priority, not bait and switch gimmick promotions that leave customers frustrated and angry.   I am done with you.   Good riddance.   This week will be my last week of ever using you for my business and personal travel.   

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy, but i don't see where there was any bait and switch taking place if you had already booked the flights. What did you do differently than if the promotion had never existed?

Agree that the terms should be clearer though, we had a lengthy thread on the topic already about "register, book, and fly" vs "register and fly" and having multiple interpretations.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

earlyflyer
Explorer C

Is this A-list promotion only for those who received the email? I fly regularly with SW and was hoping to get to A-list sooner rather than later!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, it is a targeted promotion, only valid for people who received it from Southwest. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@earlyflyerwrote:

Is this A-list promotion only for those who received the email? I fly regularly with SW and was hoping to get to A-list sooner rather than later!

I know they have offered this before to people that had A-list before and just missed renewing.

I don't think it was probably targeted to people that were showing an increased use of Southwest and almost made it, or that had been heavy users and lightened up a little the past year.

christianm2b2
Explorer C

I have a couple flights booked as well. I purchased the early bird ($60) that I won't need to use. If I were to cancel and re-book the flights, it will cost $68. Do you think it's worth it to get A-List the rest of 2018? We will probably fly about 3-4 more times.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@christianm2b2

It's unclear if the $68 you say you would lose is all related to having to rebook at higher fares or includes the EarlyBird Checkin cost.  EarlyBird is nonrefundable so if you cancel and rebook you would also be out the $60 you paid there, plus you'd probably want to repurchase EarlyBird on the flights you rebook since you wouldn't yet be A-List, so that's another $60.  That's quite a bit of additional expense you would be incurring now to potentially save $15/flight for the remainder of the year.  Yes, A-List gets slightly better boarding position and having a dedicated line to check-in bags is occasionally nice depending on whether you actually check bags, how busy the airport is, and how early you like to get to the airfield, but my guess is you'd be just as well buying EarlyBird Check-in for the remainder of the year.

When you earn A-List by flying the standard 25 flights in a year you get the benefits for the remainder of the current calendar year AND the entire next calendar year.  If this promotion was offering the same time period you'd probably be better off completing the A-List challenge.

Hope that helps.  Of course, this is all my opinion based on the limited info you provided so you'll need to evaluate for your specific situation and needs.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@christianm2b2wrote:

I have a couple flights booked as well. I purchased the early bird ($60) that I won't need to use. If I were to cancel and re-book the flights, it will cost $68. Do you think it's worth it to get A-List the rest of 2018? We will probably fly about 3-4 more times.

I can't say that canceling and re-booking is eligible, but I can say that having A-list is worth a lot mroe than $68 if you fly Southwest regularly.

Even for 3-4 trips per year you'll be automatically checked in, access to Fly-by priority, and 25% bonus on points earned.

I'm not sure about canceling and re-booking though in terms of qualifying.