Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A list

terepler
Explorer C

I have been an A list rewards member for the past 5 years. During 2019 due to illness, my travel for work was a little more limited and I was short of A list status requirements by 5 flights. I have contacted customer service to request a one time grant of A list status for 2020 as my travel will be increasing in the upcoming year and I have been a loyal southwest customer. I was declined due to the need to "maintain the integrity" of the rewards program. 

I would have graciously accepted this explanation had I not found out through a google news link that southwest was surprising people with elite status:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-elite-status-surprise/

Does anyone know how I might escalate this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A list

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest has apparently decided to offer "temporary" A List status to some customers -- by invitation only. Only Southwest knows which ones, but you apparently were not one of them

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I absolutely understand your frustration. In the past, it was true that A-List was almost completely limited to those who earned it. (With some small exceptions allowing those who are close to purchase additional points if necessary.) I was very surprised to discover the current Chase cardmember A-List promotion, and personally I do not think Southwest adequately considered the ramifications of this promotion with regards to how it would affect other customers like yourself.

I would suggest writing a letter to Southwest to express your concerns. Unfortunately, I I think the chances of any contact having successful resolution on your part are low. Sorry.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest wasn't just targeting anyone with the "surprise" A-List status - according to the article you posted, Southwest gave a 6-month A-List status benefit to select Chase cardholders who a) opened an account in 2019 and b) used the promotion that awarded *Companion Pass* for the rest of 2019 if they met the spending requirements. It was a very limited promotion from my understanding, and for those who were able to earn it, they deserve A-List status for awhile. 

Considering regular A-List requires 25 one way flights to obtain and you were *5* flights short (20% of what is required), the chance of Southwest giving you A-List out of the kindness of their hearts is zero. With that kind of logic, anyone can say, "Oh, I was just a little short of the requirements, but I deserve it because of XYZ!" No, no, that's not how it works.

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Southwest wasn't just targeting anyone with the "surprise" A-List status - according to the article you posted, Southwest gave a 6-month A-List status benefit to select Chase cardholders who a) opened an account in 2019 and b) used the promotion that awarded *Companion Pass* for the rest of 2019 if they met the spending requirements. It was a very limited promotion from my understanding, and for those who were able to earn it, they deserve A-List status for awhile. 

Considering regular A-List requires 25 one way flights to obtain and you were *5* flights short (20% of what is required), the chance of Southwest giving you A-List out of the kindness of their hearts is zero. With that kind of logic, anyone can say, "Oh, I was just a little short of the requirements, but I deserve it because of XYZ!" No, no, that's not how it works.

--Jessica

Actually, that's not true. I did not open a new Chase Rapid Rewards credit card last year, and I never participated in any such Companion Pass promotion, and yet I've received A-List. I am a long time card holder, and currently have two Rapid Rewards cards. Postings on other forums and in the comments of that original article on The Points Guy suggest that many people received this promotion, and that the only criteria was having a Chase Rapid Rewards card, presumably for a long time, since the promotion specifically says it's a thank you for loyalty.

Ultimately, I believe the point is that regardless of how many people received this promotion, loyal A-Listers who were seeking consideration of help retaining status have been denied, while customers nowhere near achieving status were given 6 months of it for free. 

A-Listers have often been frustrated by how tier qualifying point purchase offers appear to be targeted, but seemingly with no discernible criteria. At the end of every year we find A-Listers who are slightly short of points or flight segments who reach out, seeking some sort of help to retain their status, and yet are denied all while other members receive offers to help them do just that. 

A-Listers began questioning Southwest's loyalty to them back when Upgraded Boarding was introduced. And unfortunately it seems now that statements about respecting the integrity of the A-List program seem less valid. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@terepler wrote:

I have been an A list rewards member for the past 5 years. During 2019 due to illness, my travel for work was a little more limited and I was short of A list status requirements by 5 flights. I have contacted customer service to request a one time grant of A list status for 2020 as my travel will be increasing in the upcoming year and I have been a loyal southwest customer. I was declined due to the need to "maintain the integrity" of the rewards program. 

I would have graciously accepted this explanation had I not found out through a google news link that southwest was surprising people with elite status:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-elite-status-surprise/

Does anyone know how I might escalate this issue?

I had a similar situation last year and was eventually offered a promotional offer to fly six flights for remainder of the year A-list, during which I flew plenty and earned A-list the regular way for the rest of 2019 to 2020.

I think the promotion came sometime at the end of January or in February, i forget all of the details unfortunately.

If they do end up offering you one, the best approach is to keep flying and pay for the earlier boarding options if that's important to you. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.