Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Another Companion Pass question for multiple trips coming up

billb1981
Explorer C

I'm sure this has been addressed, but while I read through the forums for an answer, I thought I'd post this if someone has a quick answer for me.

I have companion pass, and want to book a couple of upcoming trips.  The first one would be my Dad and I to Las Vegas.  We also want to book two more flights for my wife and I.

My Dad is listed as my companion, so for Vegas, that would be no problem.

Where the question is....we want to book my wife and I for Dallas and New Orleans trips in the fall, but book them now, but I'm guessing I can't change the companion to my wife until the travel to/from Las Vegas is completed with my Dad listed as my companion.

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm still scratching my head.....We basically want to book three trips, #1 My Dad and I to Vegas (For July) #2, Wife and I to Dallas, (August) #3 Wife and I to New Orleans (October)

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Another Companion Pass question for multiple trips coming up

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think you are stuck.

You can only book a flight for the person listed as your companion.

If you change companions before the first flight happens, then your listed companion will not be able to fly.

So, you will need to wait til the first flight is complete before you can change companions. Then you can book the later flights with your wife and you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since there is a period of time between the trips you should have no problem changing the companion and getting a seat for them after completing the first trip.  The flight would have to be 100% sold out for you to not be able to add a companion to it.  If you ever run into that situation you should frequently check the flight to see if a seat opens up, especially right around the T-minus 24 hour time when people check-in and often remember to cancel their flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

billb1981
Explorer C

Thanks, so in theory, I could book all three flights, and book my Dad on those flights, then after the Vegas flight, change the companion name to my wife and book her a ticket (assuming the flight is not full) which if I hold one seat for my dad, once we changed companion names it would free up one seat and I could grab?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If it were me I wouldn't bother booking the 2nd seat on the future flights. Just handle that when you change your companion. Maybe if it was a Christmas flight, maybe. 

--TheMiddleSeat

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

You could book your companion's trip with points.  Then it is easy to cancel (and get your points back) and add the companion in case the flight might sell out.  When you call to change your companion on your companion pass, you can have the agent make the changes for the flights for your wife.