Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BEWARE SWA - the worst customer service experience!

kcc
Explorer C

After hearing about the current Companion Pass promotion for the SW rapid rewards credit card through Chase, I was thrilled to sign up! I was approved for the card on 1/16 and was informed I would receive my card in 7-10 days. On 1/29 I called the Chase customer service line concerned as to why I still have not received my new credit card. I was informed that my card application included the correct address, but for some (unknown to Chase) reason the card was mailed to an OLD address. Turns out my previous rapid rewards account, used once to purchase a flight nearly a year ago, was attached to the same old address. I do not know who is to blame for the card being sent to the wrong address, nor do I care. The correct address was listed on the credit card application so I do not feel as though I am at fault. After speaking with multiple SW representatives all morning they have concluded - blame Chase for everything and do nothing for the customer. 

All SW did was inform me the promotional period started when the account was opened, 1/16, even though I will likely not receive my card until three weeks later. I asked if they could wave the annual fee as compensation for loosing nearly 3 weeks of spending, they refused. I explained that I am a very happy customer of the United Chase credit card and have not experienced a single issue in the 1.5 years of holding that card. SW wants to blame everything on Chase, which I believe is invalid. SW has PARTNERED with Chase and should share responsibility with their partner, especially considering the correct address was on file for the card application AND Chase manages my United card which is also attached to the correct address. 

Lesson learned. If I am still able to acheive the Companion Pass status (if I ever receive the SW credit card) I will use the pass for the remainder of 2019. Once this pass expires I will never fly SW airlines again. United has earned my business thanks to SW incredibly poor customer service! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: BEWARE SWA - the worst customer service experience!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@kcc wrote:

SW wants to blame everything on Chase, which I believe is invalid. SW has PARTNERED with Chase and should share responsibility with their partner

While you have the right to be frustrated, Southwest is correct in telling you this is not their repsonsibility, nor should Southwest be blamed for any of these issues.  Southwest has no control/influence/decision in where cards are mailed, who pays an annual fee, what the bonuses are, etc.  Southwest is paid by Chase to issue benefits such as RR points and Companion Pass, and Southwest issues them after Chase pays.  Yelling at Southwest is not going to help you at all.

--TheMiddleSeat

kcc
Explorer C

I definitely agree, Southwest is not solely responsible. However, I think Southwest should accept that they are partners with Chase and therefore the two should share responsibility. At this point, neither Southwest or Chase will take any responsibilty. Additionally, I do find it odd that Chase confirmed the correct address on file for the card. Yet the card was sent to an old address on file with Southwest. This leads me to believe the process between the partners, Southwest and Chase, is flawed. I have no idea who is more at fault. Just frustrating that I am loosing multiple weeks and will likely have only 2 months to complete the 4K in transactions for the promotion, rather than the 3 months if the card arrived in a reasonable amount of time. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorrry to hear this is turning out poorly for you, but themiddleseat is right: this is entirely a Chase problem,. Southwest only does three things in the entire process:

1) Southwest allows Chase to use the Southwest name in advertsing the card

2) Southwest sells RR points to Chase 

3) Southwest adds those purchased RR points to your account when Chase tells it to

That's it.

I have no idea why Chase would have mailed to an address different than the one on your application, but that is something that Chase did, and something Chase will need to fix.