Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Bait and Switch on Chase Southwest Credit Card

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Again: The particular offer one receives is based on the link used when one applies.

Offer details aren't reference in the materials you receive with your card, but Chase will verify verbally which offer you've applied for if you call them, and will send written confirmation upon request.

Make sure you're using the correct link for the specific offer you want. Take screenshots of the process. Call to verify if you have any concerns.

GMoyo
Explorer C

What was the resolution? 

sonya70458
Explorer C

Same exact thing happened to me.  There should be a class action lawsuit about this.

I filed a BBB Complaint about Southwest.com and Chase for bait and switch, false advertising and click baiting.  Right now They are promising to give me the 40,000 points but will not honor the other 20,000 points after I spend 12,000 in a year.   

File  a BBB complaint against:

JPMorgan Chase Credit Card, Newark, DE 19713 Phone:  800-432-3117

This is what I submitted to the BBB:

Bait and Switch Tactics used by Southwest.com website and Chase Bank. I was interested in their promotion they were having before new years eve 2018 for the 60,000 rapid rewards points. I clicked on the learn more button that the Southwest website was advertising and liked it. Then I purchased my airline tickets on December 26, 2018 and it asked if I would like to get the Southwest Rapids Rewards Credit Card. I applied for a Southwest Rapids Rewards Credit Card when they had the promotion spend $1000 or more in 3 months and receive 40,000 bonus points and you will earn an additional 20,000 bonus points if you spend $12,000 or more within the first year of the account open date. I was approved and purchased my airline tickets that day. As soon as I purchased my tickets I saw that there was a $200 credit on my account. I called them immediately and told them that they have the wrong offer on my credit card that I applied for on December 26, 2018. They said they were sorry and that they will honor the promotion that I applied for. Then a couple of weeks later (January 14, 2019) I receive a letter stating that I can still get the 40,000 bonus points but now I am not eligible for the 20,000 bonus points if I were to spend $12,000 or more in my first year and I have to pay back the $200 credit that was applied with my account. I told them I am fine with paying the $200 credit back to my account and receiving the 40,000 points but upset at the fact that I was not honored the 20,000 points after I spend $12,000 in my first year of opening the card. I called Customer Service twice and both times they give me the same answer. "There is nothing we can do and there is no one else I can speak with". Sorry! I am just upset because of the bait and switch tactics that Chase and Southwest are using. All I ask is for them to honor my promotion that I signed up for under the advertisements that were all over their website and TV Commercials and Internet and not the bait and switch offer that they gave me when I thought I was getting the promotion that was advertised all over their website. I have done some research on this and it looks like I am not the only one that this has happened to.

Desired Outcome/Settlement
Desired Settlement: Other (requires explanation)
I would just like Southwest Rapid Rewards and Chase bank to honor the promotion that was advertised all over their website, tv, and internet and emails to what I applied for. To fix their website that if they have a promotion going on for a credit card that it reflects what the customer is actually applying for and not a bait and switch tactic and to be able to have someone they can speak with about the account that just does not say, I am sorry there is no one you can speak with and we will have to submit a request to the marketing department and in 2-6 weeks you will get a response in snail mail to if they will do anything regarding your issue and then you can call back.

This is what Chase responded with:
MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:

We responded to our customer’s concerns in a phone call on January 22, 2019. To protect our customer’s privacy, we are not providing you with the details of our resolution. Our customer may use their discretion in sharing our response directly with you.

This is my rebuttle:
This message originally read on 1/28/2019

Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to my complaint and have determined that this does not resolve my  issue.  For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

**In order for the bureau to continue to assist you, you MUST provide your view on the matter or your complaint will be closed as answered.

Chase did contact me and told me that I was not able to get the promotion that I applied for because I did not apply for that promotion.  I told them that they used bait and switch advertising with Southwest.com with advertisements all over TV, internet, southwest.com website.  The promotion all over was for 60,000 bonus points after you spend $12,000 in one year after card opening.  So I clicked on the learn more button.  I like the promotion after reading it so I went ahead and found plane tickets that I wanted to purchase.  When I purchased the plane tickets it had a button stating would you like to sign up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card.  I clicked the button that said APPLY NOW.  When I was done I was approved and went ahead purchasing my tickets.  When my tickets were purchased I saw that they had subtracted $200 off of my total bill.  I immediately called Southwest Rapid Rewards and they transferred me to Chase after I told them this was not the credit card that I applied for and would like to have the credit card that I thought I was applying for which was the 60,000 Rapid Rewards bonus points if you spend $12,000 in one year of card opening.  They told me that what they would do is charge me back the $200 and give me the 40,000 points but they would not honor the 20,000 points after I spend $12,000 in one year of card opening.  I told them this is false advertisement and bait and switch tactics on Southwest.com and Chase bank to advertise a promotion so heavily then when you apply for a card you get the complete opposite.  They did charge my credit card back the $200 they gave me but I have yet to received the 40,000 Rapid Rewards points that are still owed upon our agreement.  I also stated I would not be happy unless they honored the promotion that was going on December 26, 2018 that I applied for but bait and switched and falsely advertised.  When doing research I found out I am not the only this has happened to.  All over Southwest.com there are hundreds of people that had the same situation as me.  Think we are getting one credit card then baited and switch to another.  I just wanted them to honor what they were advertising and they have not.  Shame on these large companies to do this to the consumer.  I believe they should have a class action lawsuit brought on between these two companies for false advertisement and bait and switch tactics that they are using.  All I want them to do is honor the promotion but they refuse stating there is nothing they can do.  Sorry I can't help you.  You didn't sign up for that promotion.  They are all reading a script.  Spoke with several customer service and upper lever customer service reps and all with the same scripted answer.

I am still waiting on their response.

dfwskier
Aviator A

"

Same exact thing happened to me.  There should be a class action lawsuit about this.

I filed a BBB Complaint about Southwest.com and Chase for bait and switch, false advertising and click baiting.  Right now They are promising to give me the 40,000 points but will not honor the other 20,000 points after I spend 12,000 in a year.   

File  a BBB complaint against:

JPMorgan Chase Credit Card, Newark, DE 19713 Phone:  800-432-3117"

Sorry to hear this has become an issue for you.

If you continue to feel you were wronged, you should send a letter to Chase's CEO. I don't do things like that often, but I have sent letters to CEOs before when I felt the customer servicwe people were being unresponsive..

Chase is going to have to figure it out for you. Southwest can't help because Southwest has no control over Chase promotions.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

I think this is a good opportunity to point out that Chase often offers multiple Southwest Credit Card offers at the same time, that these offers change frequently, and that you must click the link for the specific offer you desire in order to apply online for that promotional offer.

The only thing that guarantees what promotional offer you will be considered for is the specific link you use when you apply. Not what you saw on TV the other day, or what you read on the airport banner last week, or what your friend said they received when they applied.

It would seem like this should be obvious, but I do see that it's a frequent source of confusion. Perhaps by those who do not realize that the same card can be promoted with several different offers at the same time.

To protect yourself, always take screenshots of the offer and your application as you navigate the process.

I hope this helps!

sonyakym
Explorer C

The same thing happened to me. I specifically applied for the "spend $1,000 in your first 3 months and recieve 40,000 point and a $200 credit". I received my $200 credit but only 10,000 points although I spent $1000 on my card within the 3-month timeframe. I emailed customer service yesterday and they said my account shows the 10,000 points offer. I know I did not as I clicked on the banner on Southwest that showed the 40,000 point offer. Unfortunetly, I don't have my paperwork I received with my card to verify this. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@sonyakym wrote:

The same thing happened to me. I specifically applied for the "spend $1,000 in your first 3 months and recieve 40,000 point and a $200 credit". I received my $200 credit but only 10,000 points although I spent $1000 on my card within the 3-month timeframe. I emailed customer service yesterday and they said my account shows the 10,000 points offer. I know I did not as I clicked on the banner on Southwest that showed the 40,000 point offer. Unfortunetly, I don't have my paperwork I received with my card to verify this. 

FYI: There was/is no such offer.

The only offer that includes a statement credit is the 10,000 points + $200 credit one you see when booking a flight.

No other offers include a statement credit.

Since offers change frequently, I'll repeat my advice earlier in this discussion:

I think this is a good opportunity to point out that Chase often offers multiple Southwest Credit Card offers at the same time, that these offers change frequently, and that you must click the link for the specific offer you desire in order to apply online for that promotional offer.

The only thing that guarantees what promotional offer you will be considered for is the specific link you use when you apply. Not what you saw on TV the other day, or what you read on the airport banner last week, or what your friend said they received when they applied.

It would seem like this should be obvious, but I do see that it's a frequent source of confusion. Perhaps by those who do not realize that the same card can be promoted with several different offers at the same time.

To protect yourself, always take screenshots of the offer and your application as you navigate the process.

I hope this helps!

sjarvis999
Explorer C

This bait and switch is still going on.  I took a screen shot of the offer for a companion pass if I spent a certain amount on the card.  I've spent that amount and now am being told I'm not in that program.  This really is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.  How do i get this resolved?  Chase isn't any help.  And why did it take 4 weeks to process my application?  My guess is that this bait and switch had overwhelming response and SWA and Chase are obfuscating.

MSchlags1018
Explorer C

I too had this exact same issue with the companion pass. I applied through chases website on the day the promotion began and met the spending limit and today they told me that they 40k points was linked to my application. It also took them 4 weeks to review and approve my application. I asked them for some type of documentation to prove that the 40k points was tied to my application and they were unable to provide this evidence. I didn’t take a screenshot, but during the application process a 40k bonus was never mentioned, and it was only the companion pass plus 30k. Told the guy on the phone it was a bait and switch and he obviously denied it. The supervisor was extremely rude and pretty much hung up on me after I waited 40 minutes for my call to be escalated. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@MSchlags1018 wrote:

I too had this exact same issue with the companion pass. I applied through chases website on the day the promotion began and met the spending limit and today they told me that they 40k points was linked to my application. It also took them 4 weeks to review and approve my application. I asked them for some type of documentation to prove that the 40k points was tied to my application and they were unable to provide this evidence. I didn’t take a screenshot, but during the application process a 40k bonus was never mentioned, and it was only the companion pass plus 30k. Told the guy on the phone it was a bait and switch and he obviously denied it. The supervisor was extremely rude and pretty much hung up on me after I waited 40 minutes for my call to be escalated. 

When you say you met the spending limit, what dollar amount do you mean?

The two different offers have different spend requirements 

Again:

I think this is a good opportunity to point out that Chase often offers multiple Southwest Credit Card offers at the same time, that these offers change frequently, and that you must click the link for the specific offer you desire in order to apply online for that promotional offer.

The only thing that guarantees what promotional offer you will be considered for is the specific link you use when you apply.