Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Bait and Switch on Chase Southwest Credit Card

AX771
Explorer C

It seems like you are trying to put this on the consumer when clearly this is a CHASE issue. I too had this happen. We applied within the deadline, were accepted within the deadline, spent $5k in the first 2 months ($1k over the spend floor and one month before the deadline), were told by CHASE and Southwest that we should be receiving the companion pass, and told by a CHASE manager that it could take up to 8 weeks to receive our pass. 10 weeks later, no pass and a customer service agent from CHASE claiming we were never part of the promotion. We have the original email we used to signup, as well as emails from CHASE and Southwest saying what the requirements were and when we didn't and did meet them. We have escalated the issue, and if no positive solution is reached will move on to the executive offices. That being said, @chgoflyer you are undermining the credibility of all these people that believed they could trust both CHASE and Southwest by saying they were not vigilant enough. Working with a credible company should require that level of preemptive protection, and CHASE and Southwest's customers deserve better. EVERYONE THAT IS READING THIS THAT HAD AN ISSUE, TOOK IT AS FAR AS THEY COULD WITH CHASE, AND HAVEN'T BEEN OFFERED A REASONABLE SOLUTION SHOULD REPORT IT TO THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@AX771 wrote:

It seems like you are trying to put this on the consumer when clearly this is a CHASE issue. I too had this happen. We applied within the deadline, were accepted within the deadline, spent $5k in the first 2 months ($1k over the spend floor and one month before the deadline), were told by CHASE and Southwest that we should be receiving the companion pass, and told by a CHASE manager that it could take up to 8 weeks to receive our pass. 10 weeks later, no pass and a customer service agent from CHASE claiming we were never part of the promotion. We have the original email we used to signup, as well as emails from CHASE and Southwest saying what the requirements were and when we didn't and did meet them. We have escalated the issue, and if no positive solution is reached will move on to the executive offices. That being said, @chgoflyer you are undermining the credibility of all these people that believed they could trust both CHASE and Southwest by saying they were not vigilant enough. Working with a credible company should require that level of preemptive protection, and CHASE and Southwest's customers deserve better. EVERYONE THAT IS READING THIS THAT HAD AN ISSUE, TOOK IT AS FAR AS THEY COULD WITH CHASE, AND HAVEN'T BEEN OFFERED A REASONABLE SOLUTION SHOULD REPORT IT TO THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU.

Some posters describe promotions that don't exist, and/or combine parts of multiple promotions. One common example is confusing and/or combining the current "primary" promotion (60,000 points, for example) with the one that is offered when purchasing a ticket ($200 statement credit + 10,000 points). In these cases it's apparent that the issue is with the consumer, and my previous comments are directed to them. In order to have a specific offer connected with your application, you must click through from that specific offer. And it's always a good idea to keep screenshots of the offer details, terms and conditions, and application process, as -- regardless of any company's credibility -- automated systems are involved, and mistakes, both technical and human-based can occur. When they do, it helps to have proof to support your argument.

In your case, it sounds like you've done everything correctly. Are you positive you started with the correct link for the 30,000 points + CP offer application? If Chase says you didn't, what offer are they saying was connected to your application?

I do absolutely agree that should anyone be unable to reach an acceptable solution they should file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Be aware that it's unlikely to help you individually (you'll probably just receive the same response you've already received from the bank) but if the problem is endemic it will help diagnose the issue and bring it to light.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

You may also want to file a complaint with the OCC (for what it's worth).

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency | Department of the Treasury

Good luck!

Daautry1965
Explorer C

Bullcrap to the response telling Sonya that there was never a promotion offering what she claimed.  In fact, @sonyakym and I were scammed by the EXACT SAME ADVERT. $200 in statement credit AND 40,000 points after spending $1k on purchases within the first 3 months.  I saw it and my wife saw it too!

Of course I was met with the exact same crap from Chase...   "too late, can't change it now, never offered it" blah, blah, blah

I've already contacted a group of class action attorneys who seem very interested in this after reading this forum.  I've saved all posts here as well as posts at other forums such as CA and BBB.

Now, I don't know who @chgoflyer is, but they seem like a 'fixer' here for Chase trying to do damage control. I don't know, so I certainly won't call BS on them.  BUT, If so, You may want to let your leadership know they need to prepare to lose some $$$ here. I'm pissed and motivated.

All I want is what I was offered.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
@Daautry1965 wrote:

Bullcrap to the response telling Sonya that there was never a promotion offering what she claimed.  In fact, @sonyakym and I were scammed by the EXACT SAME ADVERT. $200 in statement credit AND 40,000 points after spending $1k on purchases within the first 3 months.  I saw it and my wife saw it too!

Of course I was met with the exact same crap from Chase...   "too late, can't change it now, never offered it" blah, blah, blah

I've already contacted a group of class action attorneys who seem very interested in this after reading this forum.  I've saved all posts here as well as posts at other forums such as CA and BBB.

Now, I don't know who @chgoflyer is, but they seem like a 'fixer' here for Chase trying to do damage control. I don't know, so I certainly won't call BS on them.  BUT, If so, You may want to let your leadership know they need to prepare to lose some $$$ here. I'm pissed and motivated.

All I want is what I was offered.

Unfortunately, no.

That offer never existed.

There are multiple forums on the internet where people obsessively discuss credit card offers, and many specific to Chase and/or Southwest. And every single offer for the Southwest card is posted and discussed at length.

Is it reasonable to assume that, if an offer actually existed, it would have been seen by and/or made available to more than just two people?

You can't be given an offer that never existed.

In order to move forward with any legal action, you would need to prove that such an offer existed. Right now, I can search the internet and find proof in the form of screenshots and references to multiple other Southwest credit card offers. There is nothing referencing the one you mention.

FYI: I'm just another Southwest customer. I do not work for Southwest nor Chase.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Daautry1965 wrote:

Now, I don't know who @chgoflyer is, but they seem like a 'fixer' here for Chase 

If you read all of his postings you'll see that he is not a fixer for Southwest or Chase, but you will see many  postings that are full of facts.

Do what you have to do if you have saved your documentation, but I would re-read it carefully to be sure that there wasn't a misunderstanding of the terms.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@sonyakym 

If I were you, I won't bother applying this account. it is not legit doing it so.

Daautry1965
Explorer C

Sonya, I was scammed with the exact same ad.  I saw it and my wife saw it too.  Reach out to me if you get this.  I'm just bored enough and with enough time on my hands to file against Chase here.

GhostC6
Explorer C

They did this to me in a similar way. When I applied for my new account they said I would get $200 if I spend $500 in the first three months. I asked them about this and they said that I do not get that offer. I showed them a screen shot of where it showed that offer when I applied but yet they said I do not get it. SO they advertise you get it but then not give it to you. Lucky for me I checked before I started spending to get the bonus. So, I can use the cards that are offering the bonuses.

Complete bait and switch and illegal!

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Southwest Airlines is widely regarded as being an ethical Company, and we make a concerted effort to ensure that Customers are fully aware of the terms and conditions associated with both our advertisements and those of our Partners. Can you please share a screenshot of the offer you're referring to so I can look into what might be going on?

Nicole
Community Manager

chemojay
Explorer C

Unfortunately in my case when I signed up for the card 4 months ago I had no inclination that I would need to screen shot my offer because I have never had such issues with proportionals for this kind of product. 

I am pretty darn positive it was linked many places on SlickDeals.com at the time. I will have to go back and see if I have it saved.