Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Bait and Switch on Chase Southwest Credit Card

chemojay
Explorer C

https://slickdeals.net/f/13056358-southwest-rapid-rewards-plus-premier-priority-credit-cards-60k-poi...

This is the deal I signed up for. It is dated at the bottom 5-2-19

This is when and what I signed up for. I used the Slickdeals link and thankfully they archive the deals!! 

We would all appreciate any help with this. At the time this offer was made on all Rewards cards. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chemojay wrote:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13056358-southwest-rapid-rewards-plus-premier-priority-credit-cards-60k-poi...

This is the deal I signed up for. It is dated at the bottom 5-2-19

This is when and what I signed up for. I used the Slickdeals link and thankfully they archive the deals!! 

We would all appreciate any help with this. At the time this offer was made on all Rewards cards. 

Many people get confused and think they are signing up for one card (and one set of bonus points), but end up mistakenly signing up for a second one. That's the problem with Chase offering several different products at one time.

Your own words at 3:37 (about  three posts up) says you signed up for a 40k point offer, but your link refers to a 60k point offer.

Chase controls it's promotions. So Chase needs to fix any problems. You'll need to go back to Chase and be insistent on what you signed up for (providing the link above if that's what you think you signed up for). Chase has been known to make these changes.

Be aware that if the offer you got gave you money, and the one you are trying to get does not, that Chase will take back the money.

chemojay
Explorer C

You are correct. The slick deals link is where I started, but I am fairly certain that I ended up with a 200 back and 40,000 after spending $2000 promotion after clicking on the slick deals link. 

I cannot find that link so I guess it's really no use at this point. I did get 200 credit and enough points for 1 ticket. Although it should have gotten all of them I needed for my trip. 

Kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth though. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@chemojay wrote:

You are correct. The slick deals link is where I started, but I am fairly certain that I ended up with a 200 back and 40,000 after spending $2000 promotion after clicking on the slick deals link. 

I cannot find that link so I guess it's really no use at this point. I did get 200 credit and enough points for 1 ticket. Although it should have gotten all of them I needed for my trip. 

Kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth though. 

Unfortunately, no -- you're confused. There has never been a promotion that offered $200 plus 40,000 points. That simply never existed.

Sorry.

Offers that contain a statement credit are made on the Southwest website as part of the check-out process when purchasing a ticket. The current offer, which has been in place for well over a year now, is $200 plus 10,000 points.

Points-only offers vary, but most recently have been for 40,000 -- 75,000 points.

As I've repeated here many times, the only offer that you'll receive is the one specific shown to you when you begin the application process online. Period. It's won't be something you saw in an ad at the airport, or what a friend said they received, or something you see now, after you've applied. It will be the specific offer from the specific link you apply through.

For future reference for anyone reading this: Always take screenshots of each step of the process as you complete the application. If nothing else, this will serve as absolute proof of the promotion for which you applied, should you be unclear later.

Cwc624
Explorer C

Hello,

I need to speak to a representative from Southwest that I can contact about bait and switch tactics being used by Chase Visa Card. I have photo proof of what I signed up for and been constantly contacting them for a couple months now to no avail. If you may be able to help please let me know.
Thank you

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Cwc624 wrote:

Hello,

I need to speak to a representative from Southwest that I can contact about bait and switch tactics being used by Chase Visa Card. I have photo proof of what I signed up for and been constantly contacting them for a couple months now to no avail. If you may be able to help please let me know.
Thank you

Southwest has no control over any offers that Chase may make. Thus your concern should really be voiced to Chase. 

If Chase Customer Service has been unable (unwilling?) to help out, you could write a letter to Chase's CEO:

James Dimon

CEO

JPMorgan Chase & Co.

383 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10179

Include whatever evidence you have as well a documentation of steps you've taken so far.

As an aside, this situation happens frequently due to Chase's practice of having multiple credit card offers available at the same time. So people think they are signing up for one offer, and they inadvertently sign up for a different one.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@GhostC6 wrote:

They did this to me in a similar way. When I applied for my new account they said I would get $200 if I spend $500 in the first three months. I asked them about this and they said that I do not get that offer. I showed them a screen shot of where it showed that offer when I applied but yet they said I do not get it. SO they advertise you get it but then not give it to you. Lucky for me I checked before I started spending to get the bonus. So, I can use the cards that are offering the bonuses.

Complete bait and switch and illegal!

If they (Chase, presumably?) said you didn't get that offer, what offer did they say you did?

(Most offers online are actually better than the $200 statement credit + 10,000 points one that is shown when buying a ticket. They start at 40,000 points and can be as much as 60,000.)

chemojay
Explorer C

I am going through the exact same problem with my Rewards card. I signed up with a 40,000 point offer and now have recieved a 10.000 reward and am getting no where with chase. I have emailed Southwest and hope for better but at this point I have already had to book the flights I was planning on using the points on. Will be canceling the card. 

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

To all of the frustrated customers:

Don't bother doing it so as I mentioned it before. It is a scam and not legit. Please don't bother listen to the "Fixers". 

Can anyone please tell me how to close my southwest airlines account? I couldn't find the link...to... close... the ... account... oh..well, we are all trapped here.. See?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

To all of the frustrated customers:

Don't bother doing it so as I mentioned it before. It is a scam and not legit. Please don't bother listen to the "Fixers". 

Can anyone please tell me how to close my southwest airlines account? I couldn't find the link...to... close... the ... account... oh..well, we are all trapped here.. See?

Simple. You don't have to do anything.

Don't earn any points in 24 months and your account will close and any points in it will evaporate into thin air.