Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Big mistakes (combining SR/JR)

Magwebb33
Explorer C

My husband is a HUGE Dave Ramsey fan so getting a credit card was out of the question for him...however July 2020 is our 10year anniversary having had 3 kids in 5 years a get-a-way sounded too amazing to pass up! So we got the card last April and got to earning them points. He also started a separate (Acorns) account to save for it all. Saturday night we booked our dream hotel in Costa Rica! We spent all our trip $$ on the resort because we had 79000 RR points and the round trip tickets were just 77000!!!  However, when we went to purchase the tickets something was wrong it was saying we had insufficient points. We called Southwest to be told that chase most likely opened a new rapid rewards number in our points were in there. We called Chase got the RR # with the 79k pts  being reassured we had all the points and we had no reason to question it. When we called Southwest back to combine the points with the RR number we wanted them in we were told they had put it in our oldest opened account 2001....we were 11. Through lots of long conversation we found out that they had combined my husband and his father’s rapid rewards account because they share the same name although he’s a JR (and we put different socials, bdays,ect).  When they separated the two accounts we actually had less than 20,000 points. We based everything on the facts that we were being told we had 79,000.  Although either Southwest or Chase made a mistake both of them or blame each other and I’m not sure who did it.  Neither of them are wanting to stick by what we were told and what we planned everything around. Southwest did give us $100 voucher which really helps with nothing. Chase said they are looking through everything and might send a letter in a week or so… I’m not holding my breath. I’m just super disappointed because I thought this was a great company and I would assume they would stick by what they said since the mistake was on there and not ours. 94979EF0-FDA3-46E8-998F-81C019409681.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Big mistakes (combining SR/JR)

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

If the points are in your father-in-law's account, just have him purchase the tickets for you.  

Magwebb33
Explorer C

My husband doesn’t much talk to his father. Also they separated out the points and it turns out we have less than 20k. I thought we had refer a friend points. Even if not we were basing our trip off what they told us which was 79k. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Where did you think you had earned the 79k points? Was it from the credit card sign up bonus?

If Chase put the sign up bonus points into the wrong account they should correct that mistake.

Magwebb33
Explorer C

I thought I’d gotten it from sign up, refer a friend, spending, because it’s how many points it showed/they told us we had. I really had no reason to question it. It’s our first ever card so I thought this is awesome we’re earning so much. I agree with you. Everyone has been apologizing but sadly not sticking behind what they said or owning up to their mistake. Chase is still looking into it and getting back to me so I’ll keep you posted!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Magwebb33 here's the click sequence I'd follow if I needed to get documentation/audit the points (all on a desktop computer rather than on a mobile device):

1. On the main Chase account screen near where it says "Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards", click "See details"
  2. Click "See rewards history"
  3. Click on each of the appropriate time periods.  I'm *guessing* that based on what you've posted you should see all of the activity that Chase shows you've earned to get to your expected points total.  For each time period you should see labels like "+ 2X Pts for Southwest purchases" -and- "+ Points earned on all other purchases" -and- "+ New Cardmember Bonus".  Hopefully you see all of the points you think were earned.
  4. Very important, you should also see an entry for each time period labeled "- Total Rapid Rewards transf. to Southwest"  If you see all of the points on the Chase account then so far so good, you have confirmation the points were earned according to Chase.  If you don't see any points there then that's where to start.
  5. I'm *assuming* the points were earned on the Chase side and that you see the lines with points transferred to Southwest.
  6. Now go to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account.  After logging in click "My Account" then click the "Recent Activity" side bar area.  Click "View all activity".
  7. You should see the corresponding points posted with the label "Rapid Rewards Credit Card..." with the corresponding date.
  8. Also take a look at the physical Southwest credit card.  The back of the card should have "RR #########" printed on the back, that number should match the RR# at the very top of the Southwest site when you are logged in (look in the top left corner).  If the number on the credit card does not match the online account number then that is a good indicator that the points went to the wrong place.

Hopefully this helps!

Customer | Home airport DCA