Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bonus points

justcurious
Explorer C

Looking into doing some traveling over the next few years and thought it would be beneficial to go ahead and look into getting a card where I can rack up points/miles to help with plane tickets. 

currently it looks like I can get a Southwest Rapid rewards plus credit card (which is the basic one) and receive 65,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months. I am trying to be FI minded and not just go rack up $2000 in unnecessary purchases just to get those points. 

Couple questions:

1. Would I be able to redeem these 65k points for a trip (in 2022) that I plan to book later this fall? obviously as long as I meet the $2k spend in the first 3 months. Or do you have a certain window to do this?

2. Are there situations or specific places that I cannot redeem these points to fly too? 

3. Can I pay anything with this card to rack up points? Like any monthly reoccurring bills electric bill, water, car, and also the typical gas and groceries? or is it only certain things?

Planning to go to Disney from Memphis TN then the next year Colorado from Memphis, if that even remotely matters.

I am not a huge fan at all of cards with annual fees but this one would be worth it. 

I am doing some searching through this forum as well but thought I could go ahead and get my questions out there, I just would like to know for sure this is the card I need before applying for it. I don't NEED another card unless its beneficial. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Bonus points

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@justcurious wrote:

Looking into doing some traveling over the next few years and thought it would be beneficial to go ahead and look into getting a card where I can rack up points/miles to help with plane tickets. 

currently it looks like I can get a Southwest Rapid rewards plus credit card (which is the basic one) and receive 65,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months. I am trying to be FI minded and not just go rack up $2000 in unnecessary purchases just to get those points. 

Couple questions:

1. Would I be able to redeem these 65k points for a trip (in 2022) that I plan to book later this fall? obviously as long as I meet the $2k spend in the first 3 months. Or do you have a certain window to do this?

Points would be added to your  RR account after the Chase statement that takes you over

the spend requirement. You can then use the points at any time So yes to a 2022 trip

2. Are there situations or specific places that I cannot redeem these points to fly too? 

Nope you can use the points to fly anywhere anytime  on any flight that has an open seat

3. Can I pay anything with this card to rack up points? Like any monthly reoccurring bills electric bill, water, car, and also the typical gas and groceries? or is it only certain things?

Every charge that shows up on your monthly Chase statement counts.

Planning to go to Disney from Memphis TN then the next year Colorado from Memphis, if that even remotely matters.

I am not a huge fan at all of cards with annual fees but this one would be worth it. 

Yes,it probably is worth it as 65,000 points buys abut $1000 of Southwest tickets. Part of that is from reduced federal ticket taxes that apply to cash flights, but not points flights.

I am doing some searching through this forum as well but thought I could go ahead and get my questions out there, I just would like to know for sure this is the card I need before applying for it. I don't NEED another card unless its beneficial. 

Enjoy your trip!

Re: Bonus points

justcurious
Explorer C

Thanks, I will get an application in and start building some more points. I doubt I can get all the way to 3 nearly free flights but we will see.