Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking/Flying Challenge for A-List Status

jcoats256
Explorer C

So I've been A-List for almost 10 years (if not more) with SWA.  I had a family emergency that prevented some travel this year and will not be recurring in 2020.  So, I've used some points to book some travel and have 20 legs this year and am 14,500 TQP short.  I asked about a challenge for the upcoming few months (I've got a lot of travel planned) and was told that I'd have to pay $1,200 to buy 15,000 points before 12/31/19.  I've had friends utilize (and not utilize) the booking challenge.  Has anyone else and how do you qualify?  I was told "just look out in your email".  I need to book travel but will not with SWA if I don't have A-List.  Anyone done the challenge?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Booking/Flying Challenge for A-List Status

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jcoats256 wrote:

So I've been A-List for almost 10 years (if not more) with SWA.  I had a family emergency that prevented some travel this year and will not be recurring in 2020.  So, I've used some points to book some travel and have 20 legs this year and am 14,500 TQP short.  I asked about a challenge for the upcoming few months (I've got a lot of travel planned) and was told that I'd have to pay $1,200 to buy 15,000 points before 12/31/19.  I've had friends utilize (and not utilize) the booking challenge.  Has anyone else and how do you qualify?  I was told "just look out in your email".  I need to book travel but will not with SWA if I don't have A-List.  Anyone done the challenge?

I've never received a challenge via any method, but I've been told that the challenge happens as an invitation that not all people receive. I dunno who does and who does not receive a challenge. Thus the recommendation to check your e-mail.

If you get an offer of a challenge, be sure to check the terms. Frequently these things require travelers to do these things IN THIS ORDER:

1) Sign up for challenge

2) Book travel

3) Fly between the designated  start and end dates for the challenge.

So you won't fly SW if you don't get A-list? I guess that means you don't mind paying exorbitant fees to change/cancel travel or to check luggage?

jcoats256
Explorer C

Thanks.  I made reservations for 4 trips in January. 0 with Southwest.  I also cancelled a meeting with my team  in Nashville and moved it to Atlanta.  I will not book their travel with Southwest now I'll be using Delta.  They were kind enough to provide me and the team with 0 baggage check fees.  It's not worth flying Southwest without A List.   I thought loyalty meant something but I guess it doesn't anymore with Southwest.  I'll fly them only if I have to.  I would have flown at least 16 legs in 3 months based on my meetings.   Oh well.   

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that. There are some odd things going on with A-List lately, and it does seem that Southwest is less flexible than most carriers with requests to retain long-time loyal customers. Whether this is an oversight, or a deliberate business choice, is unclear. Southwest does believe they offer the best overall domestic travel product, which I believe they think justifies their relatively unrobust status program benefits (with the exception of Companion Pass) and business product,  along with things like significantly higher business fares vs competitors. It's clear that many choose Southwest because of  no change fees and flight availability in their market.

If you've found that the grass is greener on another carrier, then your choice seems simple. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Some people love Southwest, and some don't.

Some Southwest fliers get fed up with the airline and vow to fly Delta.

Some Delta fliers get fed up with Delta and vow to fly Southwest.

There's a constant game of musical chairs going on in the industry

If/When you get tired of incurring cancellation/change/baggage fees, feel free to come back. If you don't, you made the right choice.

nostresshere
Adventurer C

I find the OP rather childish and short sighted.

If DL or any other airline can meet your needs better, than great.

But to throw a tantrum because they did not give you A-list does not make sense.  With or without A list, you still get on every flight you book.  You still have a fair chance at getting an aisle of window.  You always get where you are going.

No idea of fare difference, but buying A1-A15 might take care of some issues.