Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking flights with points.

Mattspiral8
Explorer C

Hi guys, 

so i am planning on booking flights using my points. I had 80,000 points from last year which i could use to book my flights, plus i have 64,000 points for this year which i am aiming to get companion pass with. 
so if i book a flight with points, is there a way to use the points i had from last year, instead of using the ones for my companion pass?    Would hate to book with points and it ends up taking points from my companion pass.  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Booking flights with points.

katheek77
Explorer B

I'm pretty sure you could redeem any or all of the points you've earned this year, and they'd still count toward companion pass. But, I'm new to this....

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

There are Rapid Reward points and Companion Pass qualifying points. Other than being earned at the same time, they are completely different. 

Your RR points are yours to use regardless of when earned and to purchase any points flight you would like. They have nothing to do with companion pass.

Companion Pass qualifying points are good for qualification in the year they  are earned. They expire at the end of that year, and you start the next year with zero CP qualifying points.

Mattspiral8
Explorer C

So the 64,000 points i earned this year, i could use those points for purchases and still have “64,000” on my companion pass points?   So they dont erase at all?   

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mattspiral8 wrote:

So the 64,000 points i earned this year, i could use those points for purchases and still have “64,000” on my companion pass points?   So they dont erase at all?   

That is correct

They only would erase on 1/1/2023 if you do not earn CP in 2022.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@Mattspiral8 wrote:

That is correct

They only would erase on 1/1/2023 if you do not earn CP in 2022.

The qualifying points for all categories erase 1/1/2023 no matter if you earned that level or not. This doesn't affect your Rapid Rewards points balance that you can use any time. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Mattspiral8 wrote:

Correct

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Mattspiral8 correct.  So just to get ahead of the thought.  The A list points earned are also, ONLY FOR, the fact it shows what you have accumulated towards A-List, not points you have to use.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

FYI, points bookings are now 20% off when you use code SAVE20NOW

Book before midnight central time on March 31st for travel 3/29-5/25

--TheMiddleSeat