Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Buying Points - overcharging us

rmurphy330
Explorer C

Dear Southwest,

I just spent some points to book a fare and it worked out to a cost of $0.015 per point (1 and half cents per point). I just got an offer from SW to buy points at about two and half cents each going down to about 2 cents each if I buy 10,000 points and get 4,000 bonus points (total of 14,000 points).

Why on earth should i or anyone else buy points at 2.5 cents and redeem them at 1.5 cents? That's a loss of 40% on each transaction! Much cheaper to pay cash.

I love SW but if you want to raise money this way you need to give us loyal customers a deal and not rip us off! How about selling us points at a penny each? That's the way we get a discount and a break for giving you money in advance (funding your cash flow) and for being customers.

Be friendly to your base! 

Sincerely,

Richard Murphy

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buying Points - overcharging us

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@rmurphy330 Thanks for your perspective.  I agree...as do most folks who have an interest in travel miles/points, I believe.  And this tends to be the theme for the whole industry...not just Southwest.

It really makes sense...airlines want to incentivize and reward actual miles flown.

My recommendation is to only buy points when you just need a few to top off your balance to make a purchase.  And when you do, look for a promotion like the one you mentioned to get the best value possible.

If you would like to share your thoughts directly with the SW team, please use a method at the Contact Us link below.

Happy flying and point collecting!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

My recommendation is to only buy points when you just need a few to top off your balance to make a purchase. And when you do, look for a promotion like the one you mentioned to get the best value possible.

100% agree.

If you search here in the Community that's the only recommended reason to purchase points. Have 14,500 but need 15,000 for that dream vacation? Buy the minimum number you need and you have a pretty cheap flight. If you could mix points and cash when purchasing a flight that would be even better, but that's not currently an option. 

--TheMiddleSeat

flywithus
Explorer C

I agree!!  When I got the email I decided to buy a boatload of points, but I decided to check out the cost first. I was shocked that SWA would try pulling a fast one on us. I fly SWA 99% of the time and to me this was an obvious money grab for someone who isn't paying attention. I used a flight from PVD to LAS to run my numbers for 60,000 points. It's cheaper to just pay for your flight and then use those points on your next trip. I love SWA but this is NOT A DEAL IN ANY WAY OR FORM.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@flywithus wrote:

I agree!!  When I got the email I decided to buy a boatload of points, but I decided to check out the cost first. I was shocked that SWA would try pulling a fast one on us. I fly SWA 99% of the time and to me this was an obvious money grab for someone who isn't paying attention. I used a flight from PVD to LAS to run my numbers for 60,000 points. It's cheaper to just pay for your flight and then use those points on your next trip. I love SWA but this is NOT A DEAL IN ANY WAY OR FORM.  

There's nothing to be "shocked" about

You could be "shocked" if SW was hiding something. It is hiding nothing. You know the price and the number of point you'll get before you hit the "buy" button. Use of a simple calculator tells you that the price per point you pay will be greater than the value you get when you spend the points to buy tickets.

That being said, buying large numbers of points is almost never a good deal. Small numbers of points to top off a point total to buy a ticket - maybe. Buying large numbers - nope.

gsking
Aviator C

You're kinda pointing out the obvious. 

While at first blush, it would make sense for them to have us "invest" in points.   After all, they can (and did) turn around and devalue them before you can use them.  And yes,  they could use the money now without paying you interest,  kinda like forever stamps at the post office. 

But looking at the other way,  why would they give you a discount that you could turn around and spend today?   Then everyone would do it, and they would lose money. 

The closest you can get to this is the occasional SW gift card on sale below face value.   I've gotten a few of these.