Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Buying Points

souldeep
Explorer C

Don't buy points!! I went to book a cheap flight for $88.00. That would be 5,297 in points. To buy 5,000 points on Southwest's website you'd pay $137.50 and still be short. So....I can pay $88.00 cash OR $150.00 worth of points!! It disappoints me because I was going to start purchasing points year-round to pay for my summer travel. If I do this, I'll end up paying TWICE the cost of my tickets. The SMART thing is to just keep earning them from flights, rooms, rentals etc. and let them add up. NEVER purchase them!!!!!!

I love flying Southwest this is the ONLY drawback.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Buying Points

bec102896
Aviator A

Yeah I have only found it worth buying points if it was an expensive ticket and I was 2k short or if i was buying points for someone as a gift. 

Sometimes they do have a points sale so in those cases it might make more sense to buy points but that depends on the sale 

The big thing to note about buying points for those who are trying to earn status is you don't get flight credit when your booked on points so in that case a person would buy points plus the $5.60 tax and get no flight credits. Thats the main reason I wouldn't buy points since I'm all about status. 

Blake 

Re: Buying Points

dfwskier
Aviator A

I agree with Blake: it normally makes no sense to buy large numbers of points as the cost of the ponts would be more than the equivalent airfare .

It might make sense to buy a smallnumber of points to add to your own points in order thebuy  ticket. I tmakes more sense to do so when the airlines is offereing a discounted cost for points purchases.