Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: COVID-19 Refunds for all Flights

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@hcis07053 wrote:

Travel funds is quite different from cash refund though. You can't use travel funds for groceries, which is really what you'd need in this pandemic times.

Not sure to who you're replying, but I'll restate the non-refundable ticket policy in case it's unclear:

If Southwest cancels your flight, regardless of the reason, you are entitled to a full refund, in the form of the original purchase.

If you cancel your flight, regardless of the reason, you are entitled to Travel Funds (which are currently being extended thru September 7, 2022).

MurphreeJA
Explorer C

I am in the same situation. I have a "credit" for nearly $300 due to a cancelation before the Covid thing but now I can't feel safe using it. I've contacted SouthWest several times. I don't expect a refund, I just would like an extension on the expire date of the credit until such time as it's actually safe to fly again. I've been told in other words to buzz off three times now.  The latest one said something to the effect of (paraphrased) "since we offer such great deals with our wanna get away prices we don't feel we need to offer you any customer service no matter what is going on, you shouldn't have been cheap because now we have no intention of doing anything for you. Oh but we value your business. " I have flown SW exclusively for over 20 years, but that will be coming to an end, I'd rather pay more just on principle. It's incredible how stupid the company is acting towards it's customers in a time like this. Does it really cost them anything to extend the expire dates of unused credits? If they think giving me more time to use my $300 credit is too costly, I wonder how much it's going to cost when I and my family and everyone else I warn away from Southwest never fly them again. This is just bad decision making on the part of the company and it will cost them more than they realize. I'm going to file a complaint with my state comptroller this week and any other governing body I can find that will listen. I will warn everyone I meet to avoid Southwest from now on. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@MurphreeJA wrote:

I am in the same situation. I have a "credit" for nearly $300 due to a cancelation before the Covid thing but now I can't feel safe using it. I've contacted SouthWest several times. I don't expect a refund, I just would like an extension on the expire date of the credit until such time as it's actually safe to fly again. I've been told in other words to buzz off three times now.  The latest one said something to the effect of (paraphrased) "since we offer such great deals with our wanna get away prices we don't feel we need to offer you any customer service no matter what is going on, you shouldn't have been cheap because now we have no intention of doing anything for you. Oh but we value your business. " I have flown SW exclusively for over 20 years, but that will be coming to an end, I'd rather pay more just on principle. It's incredible how stupid the company is acting towards it's customers in a time like this. Does it really cost them anything to extend the expire dates of unused credits? If they think giving me more time to use my $300 credit is too costly, I wonder how much it's going to cost when I and my family and everyone else I warn away from Southwest never fly them again. This is just bad decision making on the part of the company and it will cost them more than they realize. I'm going to file a complaint with my state comptroller this week and any other governing body I can find that will listen. I will warn everyone I meet to avoid Southwest from now on. 

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find the grass greener on any other carrier. They are all doing pretty much the same thing now, which is no longer making accommodations for customers due to new covid-related cancellations. 😞

Sounds like you missed the period when funds were being extended through 2022. That's unfortunate, but you're not the only customer in this position. I'm truthfully surprised (and disappointed) that Southwest isn't making any more accommodations for customers such as yourself, since it's clear that the pandemic is far from over.

You can file any complaints you wish, including with the US DOT, but it's unlikely to make any difference, since Southwest is acting well within their Contract of Carriage (the contract you agree to when buying a non-refundable ticket). If Southwest canceled the flight you are due a full refund, but if you did you are due only travel funds, with limitations and a expiration date.

Your one possible option with Southwest is to reach out to Customer Relations (not the reservation line) after the funds have expired, and request they be reissued as a voucher. You have 6 months from the date of expiration in which to make the request, and if granted the voucher will be good for 6 months, and is usable by anyone (not just the named passenger, as with travel funds). There is a $100 fee for this, which will be deducted from the funds.

Contact Customer Relations