Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

CP Timing and questions...

ceebeck44
Explorer B

Just received SW card(s) to maximize timing.  Want to time this right for early 2023 eligibility.  These may have been answered, but I did search....

• If I have 50K points through flights currently, will those apply towards the CP pass when crossing years (jan or feb of 2023)?  Want to make sure my new CC spend does not hit eligibility too early (Dec), since 50K points currently in the bank if they do transfer years.

• When does the 3 months start and end on the Chase SW card promos?  From card activation, acceptance or simply end of third full billing period?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: CP Timing and questions...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

The counter for earning towards CP resets on January 1 so any companion pass qualifying points you have earned in 2022 will remain in your account, but will not count towards earning CP once hit Jan 1 comes around.  If you have a new credit card you are attempting to earn CP as early in 2023 as possible so it doesn't expire until Dec 31, 2024 which means any CPQ points you have now are not relevant to the situation.  You seem to be on the right track by understanding you do not want to hit the minimum spend to earn your bonus until January 1.  Keep in mind though that points post shortly after your statement closing so if you know when your December statement starts, that's when you can really begin to spend and the points will post to your account in January.  The 3 month clock starts when you are approved and you will be able to see the exact date and progress towards your minimum spend in the Chase app.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: CP Timing and questions...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm hearing rumors of an improved sign up bonus for Southwest credit cards in early November. Purely just a rumor, but if you haven't applied yet you may want to wait a few days to see if the bonus improves.

--TheMiddleSeat