Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

California Companion Pass through 2019 - Credit Card Offer

Jlm0121
Explorer C

I earned companion pass through the California Southwest Chase Rapid Rewards Credit Card offer.  So my companion can travel with me through 12/31/2018. I remember reading the package I received in the mail that said something to the effect of, if you earn 110,000 points - my companion pass will be extended through 2019.

Well, I just earned my 110,000 points and the valid through date didn't change.  I called SWA and they were not aware of it.  I did find a post from ThePointGuy referencing the same point, but I can;t find anything on SWA.com to validate or read the full rules.  Does anybody have any insight they could share with me?  Here's the article from The Points Guy:  https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/cali-residents-companion-pass-now-through-december-31-2019/

Thanks for your help!

Jason

19 REPLIES 19

Re: California Companion Pass through 2019 - Credit Card Offer

franktravel
Aviator B

Companion Pass qualification will be based on a calendar year! Once Companion Pass status is earned, the Member can begin using his/her Companion Pass immediately once he/she has designated a Companion. The Member will maintain Companion Pass status for the remainder of the calendar year in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue receiving Companion Pass privileges, the Member must requalify each calendar year. The beginning validity date and/or expiration date of Companion Pass status or a Companion Pass card may not be adjusted.

Companion Pass

A Member who earns 110,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. 

Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. No points or Companion Pass qualifying points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Did you read The Points Guy's article?

It says sign up with the California promotional offer good for 2018, and early in 2018 (or anytime really) earn the bonus points from credit cards to qualify for 2019 through the "normal" way.

If you hit 110,000 this year, then it will count for 2018, not for 2019 - there's not a special two-year promotion, it was using the promotion plus the regular path in January.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

scbsball293
Explorer C

Jason - What you are referencing is the same situation I am facing with Southwest currently.  Based on the T&C (see highlighted sentence attached), it CLEARLY says if you earn 110,000 qualifying points while holding the one time promotional pass, you would get the companion pass through 2019.  I've called Southwest multiple times and spoken to representatives who agree with me that the language should entitle individuals to companion pass through 2019 if you have 110,000 qualifying points and the promotional companion pass, but that they "meant" to say you needed to earn the 110,000 points in 2018.  NOWHERE, and I reiterate, NOWHERE in the terms in conditions that we are subject to indicate that we have to earn the points in 2018, just through 2018.

I am still working through this situation with the Rapid Rewards call center (1-855-234-4654, option 5), but to no avail.  I will continue to keep calling and email though since I am abiding by the clearly written terms and conditions.

I would suggest calling the Rapid Rewards number listed above and see if you can get someone to help out.  I will keep you posted on my end.

SW Companion Pass Terms HL.PNG

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I couldn't see the attachment. You should scan the terms also for what happens if they make a mistake such as listing the incorrect year, Southwest may have some rights to limit the reward to what was intended.

Good luck! It is definitely great having companion pass.

SCALNancy
Explorer C

Thank you for posting that.  Can you enlarge the highlighted section?.  I too, qualified for 110K points within 2017, as well as having received companion status through the end of 2018, and was told and read that if I reached 110K points, I would have my compantion status extended through the end of 2019.  When I reached this status this past Monday (12/18), and noticed the date didn't change on my companion, I called SWA and they told me that it doesn't "stack".  I told them I was told it would extend and that's why I rushed to make purchases in such a way to reach my 110K points goal.  They said they could "coach" the person who told me that which is probably a good idea but it doesn't exactly help me.  Please keep us posted on whether SWA makes good on their promise, whether they intended to or not.   Before this, I was a very satisfied SWA customer.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Wow! Knowing how the program normally works, I can see that someone probably meant that during 2018 as described by TPG, earning a "regular" companion pass would supercede the promotional pass (although I don't know if there is any difference between the amenities of each) and qualify through 2019, but the highlighted wording doesn't specify when the points are earned and I can see where it could be interpreted for earning in 2017 extending to 2019.

Let us know how it goes.

SCALNancy
Explorer C

In short, I wrote to SWA and was denied companion pass through 2019. They said they apologize for the misinformation but I was ultimately responsible for reading the terms correctly.  Frustrating, since the terms do not indicate when the miles needed to be earned to extend to 2019. 

Jason, or anyone else in this situation.  Please let me know if you have better luck.  I don't agree with their response.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I would suggest those who qualified via both methods but are now being denied the pass through 2019 contact a lawyer for their opinion. While Southwest could claim that they aren't responsible for typos, the language in the offer can absolutely be interpreted as meaning exactly that. A strongly worded letter from a legal representative might elicit a favorable outcome. Good luck.

scbsball293
Explorer C

Thanks for the feedback, it may come to that point where legal action is necessary.  I am simply stunned that Southwest can issue written Terms and Conditions but to arbitrarily decide not to abide by them.  

Has anyone else made any headway on this situation?  I took a break from arguing my position during the holidays but plan to kick it back up now that the new year is over.