Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I add companion if my flight is purchased with someone elses points

rich1954
Adventurer A

I have companion pass but not enough points to book my flight. If someone else books a flight for me with their points can I still add companion?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can I add companion if my flight is purchased with someone elses points

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The terms and conditions don’t explicitly address this specific scenario:

“The Companion Pass allows the Member to designate an individual to fly with the Member (such designated individual, the “Companion”) on Southwest Airlines flights purchased by the Member and booked through Southwest Airlines during the Companion Pass validity period. A Companion's reservation is not considered a purchased flight, and therefore, another Companion Pass reservation cannot be booked from it.”

BUT I have no reason to believe that you wouldn’t be able to add your Companion to any ticket purchased with “cash” or points — but that is an assumption. 

The good news is that you can always test it with virtually no commitment. Book it, and see if you have the Add Companion button. If it isn’t there — and I believe it will be — you can cancel your ticket and the points will be refunded to the original account. 

Perhaps someone else here has experienced this specifically and can weigh in?

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So from my personal experience you are able to have someone book your ticket on points and still add the companion 

for example my dad is the companion pass holder i am the companion I booked his ticket with my points and he was still able to add the companion (me) with no problem 

you would just book the companion pass ticket with the points from the other account then go add the companion from the companion pass holders account. 

**Be sure you change all the info before booking otherwise you may book the ticket with some information from the non companions account (account holder who's points your using info would be automatically there) and be sure to put the correct rapid rewards number in. I messed that up once and I was Blake with female instead of male as I forgot to change that when booking.

Hope this helps 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

I have companion pass but not enough points to book my flight. If someone else books a flight for me with their points can I still add companion?

Yes, the booking doesn't make a distinction between you booking with your own points, or someone else booking on your behalf with their points.

Ironically, the companion can use their points to book you, then you book the companion if that's where you are heading with this one. But it wouldn't matter who used the points in the first place, once you have your ticket from cash (and equivalents) or points, you can use compantion functionality.

We've determined that a companion can't book their own companion though, the companion ticket would be non-revenue and ineligible to have its own companion ticket.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes. A companion can be added to any ticket, regardless of how booked, as long as a seat is available on that flight. (Only exception is a companion cannot be added to a companion ticket.)