Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I be confident that RR sign-up bonus points won’t post until current statement closing date?

boplogic
Explorer C

I already have the companion pass for 2020.  I have a new card and want to be certain that the 70,000 sign-up bonus points don't post until January so they'll count toward a 2021 companion pass.

My next statement date is January 3.  Can I clear the $5000 spending threshhold this month with absolute certainty that the bonus points won't be posted until the January 3 statement date?

I'm worried that the points might be applied right away after the $5000 threshhold is met.  If the bonus is applied during 2019, they'd be useless in terms of 2021 companion pass qualification.

If anyone can assure me that the bonus won't be applied until or after the next statement closing date, I will greatly appreciate it.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can I be confident that RR sign-up bonus points won’t post until current statement closing date?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Credit card points are added to your RR account ONLY AFTER A CHASE STATEMENT date has past.

Re: Can I be confident that RR sign-up bonus points won’t post until current statement closing date?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While @dfwskier is correct, I've never understood the need to rush, worry, and potentially screw up Companion Pass qualification. When you already have the 2020 pass there's no need to rush since the 2021 pass can be earned anytime in 2020 and doing it sooner in the year has absolutely zero benefit over doing it in December. A bonus from a new credit card may be need to be earned within a certain period of time after applying, but there is usually a couple of months.

--TheMiddleSeat

boplogic
Explorer C

Thanks to you both!  I have a large deposit to make on a tour in the next few days and want that chunk of money to go on the card with the 70,000 sign-up bonus, especially in light of the raise to 125,000 points to qualify for companion pass.

I'm assuming, maybe erroneously, that the 125,000 has to be on a single card and not on a combination of business and personal Chase SW Rapid Reward cards.

Please correct me if I've got that wrong!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

The 125,000 points required are Companion Pass qualifying points earned and credited to your Rapid Rewards account from any earning source. Remember, you earn points from many activities, including actually flying, so earning is not limited to just one credit card.

--TheMiddleSeat

boplogic
Explorer C

Great, wonderful.  Making myself nuts over nothing.  I spent over an hour yesterday on the phone with various Chase front line "customer service" people and didn't come away with the simple straight answer you've provided.

Thanks again!