Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can an authorized user redeem their points for gift cards?

Cspitz87
Explorer C

Hello all,

if my wife has a southwest credit card and makes me an authorized user on the card would either of us be able to redeem my rewards points for gift cards?  I have applied for the card before and was turned down despite a good credit score and have a lot of RR points I’d like to redeem for gc’s for Xmas shopping.  Thanks for the help! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can an authorized user redeem their points for gift cards?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

No.

My wife is an authorized user on my card and she can not use her points at More Rewards.

Cspitz87
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply! What about if I gift or transfer my points to her?  Is that free to do or will I be hit with some outrageous transfer fee and lose a bunch of my points?  Also, your wife can’t redeem her points but since she’s a user on your card could you redeem her points?  Thanks again! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest uses a 3rd party for the points transfer/sale/gift function, as a profit center. The fee to transfer points is 1 cent per point, which negates much of the value of those points.

RR points belong to the name of the person whose account they reside in. Only that person, if they are also a Chase Southwest RR Visa cardholder, can redeem them through More Rewards. 

An authorized user is only allowed to use the credit card account of another person to make purchases, which then earn points for the cardholder only.

In the past, Southwest has briefly allowed all RR members, not just those with the RR Visa card, to access More Rewards. It's been a couple years since they did this, but it's possible they may offer it again.