Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can't Use Rapid Rewards on Southwest Vacations

HawkMan02
Explorer C

Why can I NOT use my Rapid Rewards points to purchase a vacation package via SouthwestVacations.com???  

I have AAadvantage miles and can use those miles to purchase a flight or they can be applied towards a vacation package via AAvacations.com?  

Does Southwest have any plans in the future to correct this gap in service?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can't Use Rapid Rewards on Southwest Vacations

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't know all the history of the Rapid Rewards program, but as far back as I can remember the points/credits earned have only been redeemable for flights and I wouldn't expect it to change. While you can redeem for hotels and other stuff on other airlines, it also takes a lot more miles/points to go anywhere on other airlines than it does on Southwest. 

Perhaps use your AA points for the hotel and Southwest RR points for flights? 

Re: Can't Use Rapid Rewards on Southwest Vacations

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Despite the confusing naming & branding, "Southwest Vacations" is not Southwest Airlines, it's a travel agency named Mark Travel Corporation, doing business under a licesnsing agreement. You earn RR points on Southwest Vacations packages, because Mark Travel buys them from Southwest (at a low cost) and gives them to customers as a purchase incentive. Mark Travel doesn't redeem RR points because Southwest won't pay them enough for the points to cover their costs.

Mark Travel doesn't have the best reputation, and Southwest Vacation packages come with many limitations and restrictions. If there's an issue and you attempt to contact Southwest, they will just refer you back to Mark Travel. I'd recommend using Southwest Vacations with caution.

Separately, if you have the Rapid Rewards Visa Card you can book hotels, rental cars, and vacation packages using your RR points through More Rewards. This is also a 3rd party product, and the redemption rate is quite steep, but it's an option.

The best use of RR points remains booking Wanna Get Away fares on Southwest.