Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can you add a companion pass to an existing reservation?

johncoby2
Explorer C

My wife and I are taking a trip in Oct. I used our points for both tickets. I believe I will have a companion pass available by then. Can I use the companion pass for her instead of using my points?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can you add a companion pass to an existing reservation?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi

Well.. you are going to have to cancel your wife's reservation first to get yor points back.   I would wait until you know you have the companion pass before you cancel your wife's ticket,  and make sure the flights not sold out.   When you do get the companion pass all you need to do is go into your Rapid Rewards account and look at your future flights and you will see where it says add companion.  Or you can just call on the phone.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

absolutely- and I'm pretty sure that you can redeposit the miles without any fees or penalties- which is nice.

After you qualify, you'll have a link to add a companion.  What you CAN'T do is change a flight once you've addeda companion- eithewr in the app or onlione- you have to CALL rexervations- pretty lame functionality if you ask me...

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

The best way to change a flight that is connected to a companion is to just cancel the companion reservation first.  Then you will be able to make changes to your reservation and you keep the same conformation number and once your done add the companion again.  Sometimes easier than calling. 

BullsFan
Adventurer A

true- but you risk something changing after you cancel, like someone else buys the last ticket or the algorithm raises prices, or something similar, so I would never risk losing my companion's ticket this way...

StevenRosson
Explorer C

This is definitely possible as others have said. Companion Pass bookings are not capacity controlled, so as long as there is a seat available, you can book it. The only risk is if the flight is 100% full and someone else happens to book your wife's seat between the time you cancel her award ticket and finalize the companion booking. To mitigate this risk, open 2 browser tabs and have the CP booking all ready to go in one. Cancel the award ticket in the other tab, hen immediately switch back over and click to finalize the CP booking and it is unlikely anything would go wrong. And if the flight isn't full, this is moot and there's nothing to worry about. That said, SWA can always help you do this over the phone as well, which is probably the safest way to get it done.

connor35
Explorer A

I did this very thing the first year I obtained companion pass.

Should be no problem.  Just given them a call once you have CP.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I missed booking my companion once because the phone lines were jammed and I couldn't risk it online since the flight was almost full