Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can you cancel only 1 person on points flight reservation? If so, does that count as a "change"?

kat70
Explorer C

I have booked flights for my family in the past with RR points and even though I filled out all the information at once, we each received an individual confirmation number, so I was able to make changes or cancel  the flight for each individual as needed.

I recently booked a reservation with RR points for 5.  There is only ONE confirmation number for all 5.  I saw a less expensive option for 2 of those on the reservation.  (The points go up for a reservation for all 5)   But I don't see where I can cancel just the 2 people.  Also, even if I was able to cancel the 2 people, would this be considered a CHANGE and therefore making the security fee not refundable to the credit card for the remaining 3 if I needed to cancel for them?

Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can you cancel only 1 person on points flight reservation? If so, does that count as a "ch

franktravel
Aviator B

I have done this in the past when I have had a round trip ticket and one conformation number.  They were able to split my ticket and give me two one ways.  You need to call 1-800-435-9792 and ask them to split the tickets and get new conformation numbers for each person.  tell them you have found that the price has changed for two but not all five.

Good luck!

Re: Can you cancel only 1 person on points flight reservation? If so, does that count as a "ch

bec102896
Aviator A

In this case you wouldn't need to cancel anyone you would just call southwest at 800-435-9792 and state that you would like to split 2 people off and then change to the cheaper ticket. Keep watching though as the other 3 could go down later but once a reservstion is split you will need to check in both confirmation numbers instead of the one and you can't re join all the people on to one reservation after splitting unless you cancel and re book which I don't recommend as the flight rates may not stay the same.

hope this helps 

blake 

kat70
Explorer C

Thanks for the information on split reservations.  Is the one confirmation number for RR point flights a new thing?  Also, we never get the early bird check in;  how does that work with one confirmation number?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

A single confirmation number on a multi-passenger points booking is indeed new.

I'm not positive, but I believe that in order to buy EarlyBird you would need to pay for it for every passenger on the confirmation number (when initially booking) or call to add it to only some passengers (if adding after the fact.)