Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can you get bumped with a Companion Pass?

cwulff
Explorer C

My family and I are going on a vacation in June.  My husband qualified for a Companion Pass and we were going to use it for me and then get the remainig three tickets with points.  I recently heard that the Companion Pass is just a glorified standby ticket and that it's possible to get bumped off your flight.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  Obviously, we wouldn't want this to happen for this vacation.  If we make one of our kids the Companion, could they still potentially get bumped? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can you get bumped with a Companion Pass?

SWDigits
Aviator A
No, once you have your companion's confirmation number you are all set.

Southwest has a nice page with great instructions:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/promotions/promotions-companion-pass-tips.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Agreed.  As long as you book it correctly, your companion is a confirmed flyer just like anyone else on the plane.

Small caveat:  remember that in theory anyone can be bumped...although that is very rare since flights are not really oversold anymore.  To prevent that, I recommend checking in as early in the check in window as possible to ensure the companion pass holder does not have among the last boarding positions.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DarrenO
Explorer C

This is incorrect. Just got bumped from my flight and they said the companion pass is a non-rev ticket like employee buddy passes. Had a boarding pass and everything last night.

dfwskier
Aviator A

People holding ANY KIND of ticket can be bumped.