Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancel Southwest Visa then apply for another one?

irontoby
Explorer C

I just canceled my previous personal Southwest Visa credit card today (12/6). The new 100k point promotion expires tomorrow (12/7). It's been more than 24 months since I last received a sign-up bonus.

Can I sign up for the new card tomorrow and get the points? The exception is that you can't be a current card holder but I didn't know if there is some waiting period like having to wait until after my billing period date.

If I didn't get the points, would I still be charged the annual fee?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancel Southwest Visa then apply for another one?

Librarian
Explorer C

Not sure about the timing, BUT DH cancelled his SWA card in Oct. & tried to get a SWA business card for Lyft but they denied him. (too new of a side job).

Applied for new SWA card Sunday & was approved.

Worked in our favor. The new 100K promo had not been announced when he cancelled & we were hoping the business card would help us extend companion pass next year. This way we will get nearly 2 years worth.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@irontoby wrote:

I just canceled my previous personal Southwest Visa credit card today (12/6). The new 100k point promotion expires tomorrow (12/7). It's been more than 24 months since I last received a sign-up bonus.

Can I sign up for the new card tomorrow and get the points? The exception is that you can't be a current card holder but I didn't know if there is some waiting period like having to wait until after my billing period date.

The two rules are 1) not a current cardholder and 2) at least 24 months since the last bonus. It seems you qualify.

If I didn't get the points, would I still be charged the annual fee?

I don't think the fee is ever refundable.

irontoby
Explorer C

Thanks for the replies, just to follow up I did exactly this (canceled my old card on 12/6 and applied for another on 12/7) and I was indeed rejected. I received a letter in the mail about a week later saying I didn't qualify since I already had the same card.

I was not charged a fee but it seems like you must wait a bit until the old card is "really canceled". It showed as closed online but I guess it takes their system a bit longer to catch up. Unfortunately I missed out on the 100k promo but I guess I'll be ready for the next one...