Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cannot apply travel funds for child under five

bethanne133
Explorer C

I am trying to book a one way flight for myself and my daughter (who is three years old) using non-transferable travel funds. I booked my flight using travel funds easily, but it will not let me book hers because it says that children under five cannot fly by themselves (although she is not flying by herself). How am I able to apply her travel funds?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cannot apply travel funds for child under five

bec102896
Aviator A

are the travel funds in your daughters name or your name? 

if they are in your name only you can use the funds they can’t be used on someone else meaning only valid for your ticket 

to avoid the UM fee I would book both of you on the same reservation as it sounds like you were trying to book separately 

bethanne133
Explorer C

The travel funds are in her name because she has her own rapid rewards number. I understand that they are not transferable which is why I am trying to use her funds for her ticket. If I were to book her ticket at the same time as I book mine then I would not be able to use her travel funds. Which is why it seems that these travel funds are in limbo…

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

You can book both tickets at the same time, or else when you have yours booked first you can then book hers and it will prompt you that she's a UM unless you enter an adult's confirmation number on the same flight.

So you can either:

1. Book simultaneously - this works fine we do this all the time, you'll be adding the two travel funds in two steps - add one travel fund for yours and then one for hers when you get to the payment section, each with their own confirmation entry and name entry.
  2. Same thing but book yours first, then book you kiddo.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bethanne133
Explorer C

Thank you! I was able to follow those instructions to book her flight online (it did not prompt me to add my confirmation number for the underage minor on the mobile app). Appreciate the help!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Great, glad to help! That is my favorite part of this community, helping families travel.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.