Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changed a Flight and didn't receive points refund.

wendy980
Explorer C

I changed my flight recently that i previously reserved with points for 3250. 

I ran into some conflights with my schedule, so I booked a new flight for 4991 points. 

I never received the refund for th 3250 points, nor did this balance apply into my new trip. 

I decided to cancel the flight that cost 4991 points because I ran into futhur scheduling problems and received the refund for 4991 points, but not the 3250, in addition the $5 that I had used to pay the remaining fees for the flight was not returned to my bank nor was it used as credit. 

What do i do to proceed to earn my missing points back since I might need it to change my schedule further? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changed a Flight and didn't receive points refund.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

When you change or cancel anything booked with points, the points should be refunded back automatically, but if you cancel, the taxes are held for future use on confirmation #.

When you make a change or cancellation, you should receive an email, and I advise that you always save those because they outline any funds that are held for you. If you don’t save the emails, it can be difficult to track down the funds later. I actually keep a list of the funds and if I have used them along with all my SW emails. 

BTW, the number of points you quoted sounds very low for a one way fare. The cheaper amount of points would translate to around $42 cash value, and I haven’t seen a fare that low in a long time. I want those deals!! 

I recommend calling Southwest customer service at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). I think they would be able to work through your reservations and help determine what happened. Be prepared to provide all your confirmation #s!

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

@wendy980 wrote:

I changed my flight recently that i previously reserved with points for 3250. 

I ran into some conflights with my schedule, so I booked a new flight for 4991 points. 

I never received the refund for th 3250 points, nor did this balance apply into my new trip. 

I decided to cancel the flight that cost 4991 points because I ran into futhur scheduling problems and received the refund for 4991 points, but not the 3250, in addition the $5 that I had used to pay the remaining fees for the flight was not returned to my bank nor was it used as credit. 

What do i do to proceed to earn my missing points back since I might need it to change my schedule further? 

Morinng.

I'd advise you to take a look at your point history to verify the transactions. You get there by logging into your Southwest account. Looking at the left side of the page click on recent activity. That gives you a list of all points added to and subtracted from your account.

If in fact you changed your first flight (both the original and the changed flight would have the same confirmation number), what you should see is 3250 points subtracted (for first flight), 1741 points subtracted (for the change), followed by 4991 points added (for the cancellation.

If that's not what you see, you probably should follow elijah's suggestion and contact customer service.

edit add:

The last time I cancelled a fight purchased with points, the cancellation page gave me the option of getting a $ refund or keeping the funds in my travel fund account.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morinng.

I'd advise you to take a look at your point history to verify the transactions. You get there by logging into your Southwest account. Looking at the left side of the page click on recent activity. That gives you a list of all points added to and subtracted from your account.

If in fact you changed your first flight (both the original and the changed flight would have the same confirmation number), what you should see is 3250 points subtracted (for first flight), 1741 points subtracted (for the change), followed by 4991 points added (for the cancellation.

If that's not what you see, you probably should follow elijah's suggestion and contact customer service.

The last time I cancelled a fight purchased with points, the cancellation page gave me the option of getting a $ refund or keeping the funds in my travel fund account.

You should have received three e-mails from SW:

1) For your original reservation showing points used and $charged as 9/11 security fee

2) For the change (subject would have been UPDATED flight reservtion"

3) For the cancellation (subject would have been CANCELLED flight reservation) the end of the e-mail would specify what happend to you 9/11 security fee.