Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing companion pass?

eddieras
Explorer B

I've read conflicting things. The companion pass can only be changed three times in the life of the pass and three times per year. Can someone please tell me which is correct? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Changing companion pass?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi

After designating a Companion, the Member will be issued a Companion Pass card. The Companion Pass card is not transferrable. The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing his/her designated Companion. Requests may be made by calling 1-800-435-9792

Bec
Explorer A

What @franktravel said is correct. One note to add, which may make sense, is that you get your companion status for the rest of the year plus the following calendar year. Say you get your points for companion in October this year. You continue to have companion until Dec 31st next year. My understanding is that you have 3 changes until that Dec 31st date. With my own situation, I've rotated it between my kids to be able to take a special trip with me. Since I've got three kids, I can say switching to another Companion is a painless phone call away. I've not however needed to switch more than the 3 so I've never tested the per calendar year. Give the customer support number a call and I'm sure they have the details and can verify one way or the other.

--Bec

Stuartandbrooke
Explorer C

If my husband is my companion and I change it to my daughter then back to my husband does that count as 2 of my 3? Or since he was already one it just counts as 1 change? 

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi

I would say 2.

The Companion Pass card is not transferrable. The Member may, however, change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass card up to three (3) times each calendar year that the Member maintains Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing his/her designated Companion. Requests may be made by calling 1-800-435-9792.

JennyWyz
Explorer C

And I just have to say, the Companion Pass is awesome!  Just another example of why I love SW!

eddieras
Explorer B

thank you all so much for the responses!  I agree the CP is awesome!  I earned mine in January but have't a chance to use it much...till now!  I did name my daughter as my companion first- we flew to Boston (we're in Chicago) in Feb and are going again in Sept.   Here's my plan for the rest of the year:

Daugter is original and current companion - Sept 8-9 to Boston

Change to my wife (1st change) - Sept 19-22 to New Orleans

Change back to my daughter (2nd change) and go to Belize in October

Change to my son in December (3rd CP change) and go to Nashville.  

So the above sould be doable, correct?  Then come Jan 1, 2017 would my last CP person (my son as above) continue to be my companion after the new year?  Or do i get to designate someone "fresh" come January 1?

thanks again!!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Yes, with the caveat that I don't believe you can schedule the CP changes in advance, so you'd keep your daugher as the companion until her flight was complete, and then you can change it to your wife. Then you woudn't be able to book the future companion flights until after the next flight was complete and you changed again.

Usually this should be fine, the companion can be added as long as there are seats available. You would still buy your primary tickets well in advance and be waiting to add the companion as needed for each flight.

But FYI that there might be an instance where there were no seats available on the flight you had already booked, which may make you nervous...if so keep checking back as one might come available closer to the date of the flight. MDW to MCO for instance is high traffic and might be sold out for the best times (specifically the flight you booked months earliler), but also has a lot of movement so you have a good chance to catch an opening if you keep checking. I'm not sure about the MDW performance for the destintions you mentioned, I'm using MCO as a case study that I'm familiar with.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

eddieras
Explorer B

thanks! do you know (or anyone) how it works on Jan 1, 2017?  Will my last companion of 2016 just carry over to the new year or do I designate a new companion in the new year and then still have 3 changes for 2017?

Bec
Explorer A

If I read correctly, your son will be your CP in January and you again have 3 more changes for the 2017 calendar year. But to be sure, I would make a call. 🙂

--Bec