Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing from points to companion

memcwalker
Explorer C

Hey guys -

Just earned my companion pass today! I have already designated my husband but we have 3 flights booked together already with points. To change his flight from points to a companion pass, what do I do? Do I have to call Southwest and have it changed? To be clear, we still want to take the flights, but I'd like to get our points back for his ticket and use the companion pass instead.

Thanks in advance.

Mary

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing from points to companion

Jmcneill1961
Explorer C

You can cancel the existing flight for your husband and the RR points will be credited back to your account. You should then be able to “add a companion” on your existing reservation since you  now have earned the Companion Pass. 

You should be able to add the Companion online by going to your existing reservation. If this option isn’t available on the reservation online since you booked your flight prior to earning the Companion Pass, I suggest you call Customer Service desk to add the pass. They may require you to also rebook your ticket at the existing rate before you can add the Companion Pass ticket.  Regardless of the change in your rates, deleting you husband’s existing reservation and then adding him as a Companion will almost always result in a lower overall combined fare. 

Good Luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jmcneill1961 wrote:

YouIf this option isn’t available on the reservation online since you booked your flight prior to earning the Companion Pass, I suggest you call Customer Service desk to add the pass. They may require you to also rebook your ticket at the existing rate before you can add the Companion Pass ticket.  Regardless of the change in your rates, deleting you husband’s existing reservation and then adding him as a Companion will almost always result in a lower overall combined fare. 

This won’t be necessary, as soon as you earn CP you can add the companion to flights already booked. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Yay Companion Pass!

You can call or use chat within the app to have Southwest make the changes for you, which is what I'd personally do. I'm assuming you are both on the same reservations now but when your husband gets his new Companion Pass bookings he will have his own reservation numbers.

Enjoy!

Customer | Home airport DCA