Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase Bank largest US funder of Climate Change

Devin4Climate
Explorer C

The rapid rewards credit card is issued by JP Morgan Chase.  Chase is the largest US funder of extreme fossel fuels (tar sands, arctic drilling, coal mines...).  This is well documented by the rain forest action network at www.ran.org/bankingonclimatechange2019. 

My wife and I have divested all of our JP Morgan accounts and investments but we are holding off on our rapid rewards credit card because we hope for a different solution.  We love Southwest but changing cards will likely mean changing airlines.  If an alternative solution is not found we will also need to close that card. 

We would like to hear what the community recommends to convince Southwest to apply major pressure to JP Morgan Chase to change their unethical ways. 

Does anyone have a name of a corporate responsbility person at Southwest who may be able to help with this?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Chase Bank largest US funder of Climate Change

SWDigits
Aviator A
You may to try searching on LinkedIn.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

My suggestion: buy some Southwest common stock, attend a stockholders meeting,  and make your point.

A better suggestion: buy some Chase stock, attend a Chase stockholders meeting, and make your point.

Southwest makes money by selling points to banks (and others), and will have a relationshp with the bank that pays the most for those points.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

One does not have to have a JP Morgan Chase card to fly SWA.  It just helps build up reward points.  

If you get an affinity card from another airline, you could still use it to book SWA tickets, and then you would get points on two airlines simultaneously.

But wouldn’t flying produce a large carbon footprint also?  I am just not sure that I follow the logic of divesting of Chase accounts, then flying on jet fueled transportation.  (But I have not had a chance to explore the links and information.)  Although it is still challenging and time-consuming to drive the US in an electric vehicle.

Personally I am looking forward to teleportation instead of flying but probably not in my lifetime.  In the meantime, I will enjoy being with the SWA crews who try to make flying as comfortable as possible.  It seems that you enjoy the airline also and may not want to switch airlines so perhaps a different credit card being used to buy SW flights is a good option.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There are several other cards that offer benefit for any flights purchased as a transportation catgegory. Check out some of the Amex offerings.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Back to the idea that Chase is not scoring well - looking through the rankings there don't seem to be many scores that are favorable, indicating the makers of this particular website seem to be of the opinion that the industry as a whole needs to change paradigm. 

Although I'm quite interested in sustainability and energy efficiency, and work professionally in that area, I don't see that I would be choosing a credit card based on this website necessarily.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ElaineAustin
Explorer C

Yes, you're right. I just read this disturbing article in Rolling Stone magazine about all of Chase's favorite dirty investments:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/jpmorgan-chase-bank-biggest-investor-fossil-...

1st thought: Whew, I'm glad I don't bank at Chase.

2nd thought: Oh, no. My Southwest credit card is at Chase!

Southwest, I love your airline; please move your credit card to a cleaner bank!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest will do business with the bank that pays the most for the points it buys. At the moment that is Chase..

It's strictly business.

gsking
Aviator C
Spoiler
Spoiler
Considering everything going on, I'm not sure whether this is a refreshing change of pace or much ado about nothing.  Methinks you have too much time on your hands.  I'd say you may even be GLAD at all the decrease in carbon output these days?