Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase rapid rewards SCAM bait and switch

hollywoo
Explorer C

Chase offered 70,000 points on a premier buisness card.  I called and spoke to them and they told me all I had to do was charge 5000 and they points would drop into my account.  THEY LIED.  I also had a friend sign up for a credit card and was supposed to get 10,000 for that.  Did not recieve those either.  I recieved cc card in DEC after 2  of waiting and when I went to check points in account nothing spend 8000 on cc card and now $5200 is stating pending conveinently today.  Called chase and they told me YOU HAD TO USE THIS CARD IN NOV to get points.   I did not even have card in Nov and they told me as I applied somthing different.  Also they are blaming eveything on southwest.  I did not sign a agreement with southwest?   Beware paid $199 for nothing wondering how I am going to get enogh points now.... I called ( never again ) you need eveything in wrting or they will scam you.     

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Chase rapid rewards SCAM bait and switch

dfwskier
Aviator A

Several points here

1) You had to spend $5000 in the first three months you have the card. You say you did n't receive the card til December.

2) You earn points (and presumably bonuses) AFTER you get a statement. Since you received the card in this month,  presumably you haven't received a statement yet.

3) I don't know if you have to wait the full three months to get your 70k points, or if you get them after the first statement  that get's you past the spend requirement

4) Here's what you signed up for - note the terms

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/partners/credit-cards/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-b...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@hollywoo wrote:

Chase offered 70,000 points on a premier buisness card.  I called and spoke to them and they told me all I had to do was charge 5000 and they points would drop into my account.  THEY LIED.       

This doesn't process until the statement is issued - they don't monitor it live and credit the instant you spend that amount.

If you are planning to use the bonus towards companion pass for instance, make sure you have enough time to earn the bonus either at the beginning of next year - honestly this is what most people want so thtey can earn CP early in 2020, and keep it through 2021...? or else earn it earlier in the year to build on other points that you have earned.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

taxgeek
Explorer C

This has happened to countless people including myself and friends. I once believed Southwest to be an ethical company. I didn't even need or want a credit card. The points seems like a good deal since I was spending cash on a remodel anyway.

For all the do-gooder posters out there. I am astute enough to know what I applied for. I met the exact tems and waited the appropriate period. I contacted chase and recieve a letter lying to me about the terms.

I have cancelled the credit card and the chase bank accounts I used for business. For the do-gooder posters out there, no, I am not worried about damage to my credit score for merely cancelling a credit card.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Reminder - Chase has total control over everything to do with it's banking products - including credit cards.. 

Southwest does not.

taxgeek
Explorer C

Southwest can't point to Chase as the bad actor. There are post going back years about the bait and switch. Yet Soutwest continues to do business with Chase and promote Chase's products on the Southwest website. An ethic company would not continue to partner with a another company that is ripping of the public. In my humble opion. 

Magwebb33
Explorer C

I’m also having problems with chase pointing fingers at Southwest and vise versa! Someone combined my husband and his fathers RR accounts. We were assured several times that we had 79k points And planned a whole trip around it just to be told they made a mistake we have less than 20k points...there bad sorry! 🤦🏽‍♀️Endless calls of blaming and no one stepping up to fulfill promises made even though I have pictures and phone records of them assureing is we had 79k points. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Disappointed in their ethnics! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Magwebb33 wrote:

I’m also having problems with chase pointing fingers at Southwest and vise versa! Someone combined my husband and his fathers RR accounts. We were assured several times that we had 79k points And planned a whole trip around it just to be told they made a mistake we have less than 20k points...there bad sorry! 🤦🏽‍♀️Endless calls of blaming and no one stepping up to fulfill promises made even though I have pictures and phone records of them assureing is we had 79k points. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Disappointed in their ethnics! 

Have you talked with SW customer relations? If not, perhaps you should.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Magwebb33
Explorer C

I’ve talked to several people in the corporate office. They were very nice and apologetic. They said they could not give me the points promised but did give me a $100 voucher. Chase costumer complaint office is looking into it and supposed to get back to me. My husband and I spent our trip savings on our resort because we were told/shown we had enough for airfare. I understand it was an easy mistake to make,  my husband is a JR. However, it was a mistake that THEY made and I wish they would take responsibility for it.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Magwebb33 wrote:

I’ve talked to several people in the corporate office. They were very nice and apologetic. They said they could not give me the points promised but did give me a $100 voucher. Chase costumer complaint office is looking into it and supposed to get back to me. My husband and I spent our trip savings on our resort because we were told/shown we had enough for airfare. I understand it was an easy mistake to make,  my husband is a JR. However, it was a mistake that THEY made and I wish they would take responsibility for it.  

You mentioned ethics earlier. I'm not sure I understand. It seems that somehow your husband's account was combined with his father's (JR/SR), and then you believed the combined points total was all your husbands? Once this was corrected, you were disappointed that the points weren't actually all yours to use? Is that correct?

Imagine a bank error suddenly adds funds to your checking account. Are those funds actually yours to use? No. They belong to another person. Even if you started making plans to spend them, they're still not yours. And if you'd spent them, you'd be expected to pay them back when the error was discovered. It wouldn't matter that you made plans.

How would it be ethical on your part to believe Rapid Rewards points you did not earn were somehow yours?

If those points were then deducted from your father-in-laws account, would it be fair that he lost points so that you could gain them?

I understand that the error may have been no fault of your own. That's unfortunate. But that doesn't grant you those points, any more than the error would justify taking them away from your father-in-law.

It sounds like Southwest is attempting to apologize for the error with the $100 goodwill gesture. That sounds fair to me.

(Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the situation.)