Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Child Flying Between Homes - Only One Rewards Account Allowed?

lindseyborgnino
Explorer C

Hello!

We have a child that is flying between homes, sharing parenting time.  Can both parents setup a rapid rewards account for the child?  Seems unfair that only one parent can get rewards, when we are both paying for flight.  We pay for the child to come to us, the other parent pays for the return flight.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Child Flying Between Homes - Only One Rewards Account Allowed?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lindseyborgnino wrote:

Hello!

We have a child that is flying between homes, sharing parenting time.  Can both parents setup a rapid rewards account for the child?  Seems unfair that only one parent can get rewards, when we are both paying for flight.  We pay for the child to come to us, the other parent pays for the return flight.

Thanks.

Just to clarify, the parents aren't earning points or status from the flights, the child would be earning the status. In that regard splitting it in two would be bad if the kid would otherwise make A-list combined but not make it separately.

Edit: looking mainly at the 6 points per dollar spent on fares - the child would earn these.

Whoever controls the the child's RR account could use the points. 

I can see if each parent wanted to keep the points from paying fares then two accounts would make sense.

Edit: each parent would individually earn the 1 point per purchase on a Rapid Reward credit card, and 1 point per purchase on Southwest.com.

As long as there was transparency in each parent redeeming a pro-rated share of the points earned to offset their future purchases then one account would be the best solution in case it was enough to get A-list.

Let me know if this doesn't help or if you still have questions.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lindseyborgnino
Explorer C

I understand the child earns the points, but only one parent has access to use the points.  

The relationship between parents does not allow to share one account unfortunately.  

So the way it is setup now, the child is only able to collects points on return flights. Unless we just want to allow the one parent to get all the rewards and use them to save on flights they book (seems unfair).

dfwskier
Aviator A

@lindseyborgnino wrote:

I understand the child earns the points, but only one parent has access to use the points.  

Actually, whoever has access to the account can "use" the points

The relationship between parents does not allow to share one account unfortunately.  

So the way it is setup now, the child is only able to collects points on return flights. Unless we just want to allow the one parent to get all the rewards and use them to save on flights they book (seems unfair).

Actually, if the child's RR number is   on the outbound flight reservation, then the child is earning RR points on the flight. If the RR number is not on the reservation, then the RR points can be claimed retroactively using the confirmation number and the RR number.

lindseyborgnino
Explorer C

Well we don't have access to his rapid rewards account, only the other parent does.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lindseyborgnino wrote:

Well we don't have access to his rapid rewards account, only the other parent does.

If you added the RR account to your son's booking, then your son would earn the points for status and the other parent could redeem those points earned, and you wouldn't if you don't have the login.

If your son is old enough to manage the RR account himself then he might be able to do the redemptions.

Either parent can add the RR# when making a reservation with or without being able to log in.

If the goal is for you to keep the points, then I think setting up a duplicate RR account is probably the easiest path. This won't work for adults who need to concentrate their points, who have distinct identifying documents, etc.

But for a kid who doesn't have a DL, passport, PreCheck, or anything else you can probably make a duplicate.

Someday these might be merged when your son can take control of his own travel. The son would initiate this and say whoopsie my parents both have accounts for me.

So TL;DR - in order of my best approach here:

• If your son is old enough to keep the credentials himself (neither parent doing the logging in) then keep one RR account and both parents use it. Son can redeem points alternating between inbound/outbound flights as they accrue. (Plus any flights for other trips separate from custody.)
  • If the other parent can cooperate the same thing can be accomplished with the parent logging in if it can be done transparently.
  • Other parent pays you $0.02/point cash and you enter the RR# and they control the points. You won't be "selling" the points here since your son earns them directly regardless of who pays the flight, they are his points. But you get a "bonus" for contributing to points controlled by the other parent.
  • Both keep using one rapid reward account, and agree no one redeems the points until the son takes them over as an adult. (nice graduation present!)
  • Duplicate RR accounts for your son, if your son is young and won't have precheck, drivers license, passport, etc. that would limit them to one account

Hope this helps!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lindseyborgnino
Explorer C

I was under the impression he could only have one account and that duplicate accounts were not allowed

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Duplicate accounts are not allowed

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@lindseyborgnino wrote:

So I guess the two of you are not on the best of terms in dealing with one another...

if that's the case, then I have no real solution..

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

You can't book for your child on your Rewards account?

If not, I believe the only way you can get the points is to have the other parent book both ways, reimburse him/her for your half, and transfer the points to you later. But Southwest charges $5 for every 500 points you transfer. 😞