Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Class Action

italipower
Explorer C
Has anyone started a class action lawsuit for the loss of point value on coerced travel fund transfer to points? The points were greatly diminished in value recently and i have lost a good deal in travel equity due to this. Would someone on this board consider starting a suit?
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Class Action

jksobonya
Aviator A

No, because point value wasn't "greatly diminished". They decreased in value by 6%. While unfortunate, it's not the end of the world in my book. For points to be "greatly diminished" they would have to decrease in value by a lot more than 6%. Try 50% or more - then I'd be upset. But 6%? That's not enough to get me riled up. You can easily gain the "difference" by completing a few surveys using Rewards for Opinions, and there are many other ways to gain points with Southwest Rapid Rewards so it won't feel like any kind of loss. 

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@italipower How was the conversion coerced? Southwest voluntarily broke the terms of the contract to benefit those with expiring travel funds. The devaluation, while piss poor customer service, was within the bounds of their legal right.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Why is the answer always, "let's sue!"?  This is a ridiculous argument.  Sounds like someone went to law school on Facebook.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@italipower wrote: 

This from the  RR T&Cs

"Southwest reserves the right to amend, suspend, or change the program and/or program rules at any time without notice."

That pretty much precludes a class action from succeeding

gsking
Aviator C

Yep, the best we can do is:

1.  Be public and vocal about our displeasure. 

2.  Avoid accruing points in any way that unnecessarily uses fungible assets like TF or cash. 

3.  Use the points whenever possible.

4.  Take advantage of other SW policies that benefit us. 

They've broken my trust for sure.

I was able to use the flight change option on a recent booking to immediately change the flight to a  closer and more expensive airport, but at the original cost.   Not sure why,  but I took advantage of it. 

I lost about $300 in this devaluation.  I saved more than that on the 4 tickets.   So I guess I can consider myself "made whole".  

A class action wouldn't make you any money anyways... unless you're the lawyer.   So do what you can to make yourself feel less burgled. 

Keep in mind that cheaper flights are a better deal with points due to taxes.   If you don't need the flight credit for A list, consider burning some points. 

bec102896
Aviator A

A lawsuit will do you and others no good it will just cost you money for nothing. 

Southwest or any other airline for that matter could say tomorrow that they are ending their frequent flyer programs and points will be void and you would be out of luck. Obviously that won’t happen because that would cause a company to potentially go bankrupt but yes they can end the program or change it at anytime without notice to the public. 

Class Action

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@italipower   I guess my main thought on this is, if you're that upset, why don't you file the lawsuit, or express your intent to file it and get others to come on board.  I'm not sure why you would expect somebody else to locate an attorney and have them do all the leg work, (and possibly money) for you to get your satisfaction.   When you have located the attorney for this and are ready to file the suit, let me know and I may jump in with you.  But based on the many credible answers already given, very unlikely this will win.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@italipower wrote:
Has anyone started a class action lawsuit for the loss of point value on coerced travel fund transfer to points? The points were greatly diminished in value recently and i have lost a good deal in travel equity due to this. Would someone on this board consider starting a suit?

Not sure about coerced exactly, I had the option but was planning on flying to I kept my travel funds. I've only got $79 left of those by now. 

So although I don't think the idea would work, I'm not in your class anyway if it did go forward.

Why would you want someone else to do it? Besides the lawyers who make out like bandits the members of the class will end up getting $10 each or a couple of drink coupons (drinks being served again when this is settled five years from now) but the initiator is the only member of the class that gets a penalty settlement.

But personally I think it would be a waste of time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.