Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Close to Companion Pass, thinking hotel points thru SouthwestHotels.com:

bettercallsaul
Explorer C

OK so I am about 5000 points short of a companion pass. According to the T&C, points earned from hotels booked through SouthwestHotels.com count toward a CP. I can get a hotel that offers 6k points here in Denver for about $190...totally worth it, I am curious to see if anyone has ever booked a hotel throught SouthwestHotels.com and how long it took for the points to hit your account? The portal says up to 8 weeks for points to post, I'm sure it's much less than that....but unsure how much less the typical transasaction takes...obv for me it would have to post in 2 weeks or my gamble wont' pay off. TIA for any responses.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Close to Companion Pass, thinking hotel points thru SouthwestHotels.com:

KingerCO
Explorer C
Solution

I've stayed at several hotels through SouthwestHotels and the points usually post within 3 days.

bettercallsaul
Explorer C

Yep, I dug a little more into the archives and many people report the same experience as you did...thanks for the info, I'm booking tonight!

bec102896
Aviator A

@bettercallsaul

Just note it can take 4-6 weeks for points to post but yes they usually post to your Rapid Rewards account faster. 

Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@bettercallsaul

Just note it can take 4-6 weeks for points to post but yes they usually post to your Rapid Rewards account faster. 

Blake 

You might want to plan on what to do in case the "up to 4-6 weeks" turns out to be reality.

You could do an anytme out and back to SLC on 12/31 for about $560 that would earn you about 4900 points or a business select for about $600 that would earn about 6200 points. Double check my math.

MProla626
Explorer C

I am thinking of doing the same, no hotels nearby, points don't apply til after checkout. What if I bbok, nonrefundable & just don't go (Like Denver or FL where I can get 15000 point) do I still get the points---as I am not physically there to check out?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm not sure for hotels, i think someone still has to stay there. Unlike airline tickets you have to actually fly, for the hotels anyone could use the stay. 

I'd want to hear from someone else whether the hotel would submit the points if you didn't actually stay though.

David

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

I'm not sure for hotels, i think someone still has to stay there. Unlike airline tickets you have to actually fly, for the hotels anyone could use the stay. 

I'd want to hear from someone else whether the hotel would submit the points if you didn't actually stay though.

David

You are correct, David. Someone has to stay at the hotel. A no show results in the no show fee being applied and no points awarded. Further, the name on the reservation must match the name of the person checking in. Drivers licenses are checked.

The quetsion is " what happens if the person checking in uses another person's RR number on the reservation?" I don't know that answer to that question.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

David

You are correct, David. Someone has to stay at the hotel. A no show results in the no show fee being applied and no points awarded. Further, the name on the reservation must match the name of the person checking in. Drivers licenses are checked.

The quetsion is " what happens if the person checking in uses another person's RR number on the reservation?" I don't know that answer to that question.

Thanks @dfwskier - in that case I'd recommend to OP @bettercallsaul to consider looking at Rocketmiles which may have some offers closer to home. You pay a premium for the room to account for the points, but at this stage of the year that's the best option.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

@bettercallsaul

Blake 

You might want to plan on what to do in case the "up to 4-6 weeks" turns out to be reality.

You could do an anytme out and back to SLC on 12/31 for about $560 that would earn you about 4900 points or a business select for about $600 that would earn about 6200 points. Double check my math.

Points-wise I would say always spend the extra $20 per leg for Business Select over Anytime, and go for the 12x points. $600 should = 7,200 points upon completion of the flight, plus 600 on Rapid Reward visa at the statement closing and bonus 600 for purchases on Southwest.com at statement closing.

Anytime would be 10x, so 5,600 points upon completion of the flight plus 560 at statement closing plus bonus 560 at statement closing.