Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion / Early Bird Boarding

DPontheGo
Adventurer C

I am currently an A List member, but due to various circumstances this year I will unfortunately not meet the requirements to be an A List member in 2019.  I have already booked several flights for 2019 and because I am currently an A List member I am unable to purchase Early Bird boarding at this time for those flights.  On several of those flights, I am traveling with someone else and I would like to be able to board with them but will not be able to since I can't purchase Early Bird until my current A List expires.

Has there ever been consideration to grandfather a person in to their A List status on flights purchased while still an A List member?  Or could current A List members be allowed to add on Early Bird at the time of ticket purchase when they know that their current status will expire.

I love Southwest and all that they do to make customer experiences as great as possible and I just wondered what the response to this was.  Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Companion / Early Bird Boarding

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

One way you could add EB is to remove your rapid rewards number from the reservation (which you could do by calling reservations) then add EB to the flight then add your number back to your reservation.

If you haven't tried already you could call reservations to see if they can add EB for those flights without needing to remove your number as there was a time back a few years a go they added EB to my a list reservation on accident I was a little like how did you pull that off no one could fugue it out though so they may be able to. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

DPontheGo
Adventurer C

Never thought about that, @bec102896, but that's a great idea.  I'm always so worried about making sure I have my RR number in there to get credit.  🙂

bec102896
Aviator A

I know what you mean I'm all about getting my credits (airline and hotel too) hope it works for you

And I would hate to be in the B or C group before I was A List I bought EB all the time luckily it was only $10 back then. 

DPontheGo
Adventurer C

@bec102896 One hitch to your solution would be that if you don't put your RR account in when you purchase the ticket and you are currently A List then you don't earn the 25% more points on that flight purchase.  So that also becomes an issue.  I really wish they would just allow you to purchase EB regardless of your status.  If you know you won't need it, I don't think it is something that you would purchase by accident.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DPontheGo wrote:

@bec102896...I really wish they would just allow you to purchase EB regardless of your status.  If you know you won't need it, I don't think it is something that you would purchase by accident.

I think I disagree, I've seen a few questions on the board wbere although you would think all A-list members would know that they don't need to do it, there seems to be some confusion about it.

Did the workaround work to buy the flight, call to remove RR, buy EBCI, and then put RR# back?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DPontheGo wrote:

@bec102896 One hitch to your solution would be that if you don't put your RR account in when you purchase the ticket and you are currently A List then you don't earn the 25% more points on that flight purchase.  So that also becomes an issue.  I really wish they would just allow you to purchase EB regardless of your status.  If you know you won't need it, I don't think it is something that you would purchase by accident.

I believe regardless on when you add your number (during booking, after booking- more than 36 hours before the flight, or after travel is complete) you would still get your bonus points for being A List. now sure you won't get your A List boarding (in the A group) if you dont add the number more than 36 hours before the flight if you add it at the airport you could get the between A and B group boarding. 

I had a time where my number fell off my reservation and I caught it so I called and readded it back and got all my benefits when it came flight time (A boarding and the bonus points) 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@DPontheGo wrote:

I believe regardless on when you add your number (during booking, after booking- more than 36 hours before the flight, or after travel is complete) you would still get your bonus points for being A List. now sure you won't get your A List boarding (in the A group) if you dont add the number more than 36 hours before the flight if you add it at the airport you could get the between A and B group boarding. 

I had a time where my number fell off my reservation and I caught it so I called and readded it back and got all my benefits when it came flight time (A boarding and the bonus points) 

It appears that the OP is concerened about getting a good boarding position in 2019 after he drops off of A List. That's why he is trying to get EBCI added to the flights.

Since he won't be A List in 2019, he won't be eligible for the A List bonus points.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Good point @dfwskier...your flight bonus points would be applied when you take the flight, so no need to worry about the bonus for next year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Good ideas @bec102896! Sorry to hear you are losing #AList @DPontheGo; at least you have been getting more time at home??? #silverlinings

-A List, Companion Pass holder