Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Designation Change - how long to process?

Shawn555
Explorer C

I noticed in the terms and conditions that it takes up to 21 days to process and issue a new companion pass card (not sure what purpose this card really serves), but how long does it take to actually change your designation after you call and request the change? I only have one week after my current companion flys with me until my new companion needs to fly with me.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Designation Change - how long to process?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Interesting question. I have never had to change my Companion, so I have no real-world experience.  If I had to guess, I would make the assumption that the change goes through quickly but that it takes a few days to get the card.  Like you said, the card is just nice to have, but it isn’t really useful at this time; it will be interesting to see how it might become more handy in the future if Southwest does change the boarding procedures for Companions.

I wonder if they might be able to give you more concrete info when you call to change it?  Keep in mind that all Companion reservations will need to be cancelled before your Companion can be changed.

Perhaps there are other Community members who have experience with this.  Also, if you find out the actual turn around time, please provide an update!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Shawn555 wrote:

I noticed in the terms and conditions that it takes up to 21 days to process and issue a new companion pass card (not sure what purpose this card really serves), but how long does it take to actually change your designation after you call and request the change? I only have one week after my current companion flys with me until my new companion needs to fly with me.

I have heard on this community that it can happen that fast, it may show up online in a few days but you obviously won't have your card in the mail by then.

You might consider booking the new companion with points for now as a backup plan, refunding the points when (if) you rebook as companion.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Shawn555

So my dad has a companion pass and when he changed it  to me it took about 6 days after we called to change the companion to get the new card.

i would recommend calling reservations as soon as travel with the first companion is complete (like that afternoon or night you arrive when travel is complete) that way it is processing as quick as possible. I do believe at that time you should be able to book a ticket with the new companion even though you don't have the card at that time. We were able to make a new reservation immediately once the new companion was assigned so unless something changed you should be able to without issue. If you get told no I would just call back or try online. 

in the meantime I would book a points ticket if you have the points as @DancingDavidE suggested just to hold the seat until your able to book the new companion. 

we personally have never been asked for the card since I have been the companion so you should be fine once you change the name. 

Just remember you can only change the companion 3 times as some think they can change it unlimited times. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

grayson
Explorer C

I just changed my companion by calling customer support and it took effect immediately. I was able to book a ticket for my new companion within a few minutes.