Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Extension Request

WantToTravel
Explorer C

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was unable to use their companion pass this year or attempted to early in the year but the experience was horrible.  I've made my request for an extension to customer service by email and was denied.  Here it is the end of 2021 and there is no consideration for those of us who for some valid reasons was not able to take advantage of it like everyone else did pre 2020.  While some of you might have been comfortable with the crowded airports, sold-out flights, delays while sitting on hot crowded planes, I was not, especially in the middle of a pandemic.  People were sneezing, coughing, etc.  There was no social distancing anywhere.

I'm curious to know, if you are here looking at the discussion forum, how many people were not able to use your companion pass this year for whatever reason? 

Why is Southwest not considering our requests on a case-by-case basis?  I know some of you will say you earn the companion pass every year and it wouldn't be fair to you.  For me, I don't have enough expenses in the year to earn it, not even if I tried.  There is no way I can earn it the way some of you can.  I'm old enough where my kids are grown and I now live alone, which is why I can travel more now.  There are scenarios where it is reasonable to make exceptions and let some of us enjoy the companion pass we worked hard to earn during the pandemic.  Not all of us will be able to earn it more than once, I don't think I will be able too or I may not be as upset about this as I am.

I hope to hear from a Southwest representative on this who has the authority to make a decision on my request.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Companion Pass Extension Request

dfwskier
Aviator A

@WantToTravel wrote:

While some of you might have been comfortable with the crowded airports, sold-out flights, delays while sitting on hot crowded planes, I was not, especially in the middle of a pandemic.  People were sneezing, coughing, etc.  There was no social distancing anywhere.

I think the above explains why Southwest will not extend the pass again. LOTS OF PEOPLE were flying. So it is not that you were unable to use the pass, You chose not to.  

Starting about April, the number of passengers every day  was a minimum of 75% of the pre pandemic levels -  increasing steadily thru the year to a point where Christmas traffic actually exceeded 2019 levels.

I stared flying again in May 2020. I saw better social distancing on planes than I did at my local food store. Since then I've probably logged 70 flights, and the only time I felt at risk was when I was forced to ride a crowded train at the Denver airport.

Oh, and I never got the bug.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Unfortunately for you in this coming year the opportunity to obtain a Companion Pass has sailed without you.

I completed my Companion Pass requirements in November this year, which is about average for me. (Early in the year I had doubts I would make it, but I focused on making the required 125,000 points, following the rules set out by SWA.)

BTW, If you did not feel comfortable in airports in 2021, I am unclear what will change in 2022 to alleviate this concern? The travel situation is basically the same or even worse now?

That being said I would recommend starting January 2022 by reading up on how to maximize gathering the points required to get the CP for 2023. Work the system and keep looking forward. 

Best of luck and safe travels.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest has already done more than enough to make qualifying for A-List and Companion Pass easier this year -  as they did in 2020, you only had to earn 100K points for CP this year, as opposed to the standard 125K points you would earn in a normal year. More info on the reduced requirements here: 

https://www.southwest.com/rapid-rewards-boost/ 

They aren't going to make an exception for you because you were afraid to fly in 2021. Many others were not, and in fact flew in 2020 as well. My first "COVID era" flight was August 2020, and I have flown many times since. Flying is, and has always been, very safe.

There's always next year! 

--Jessica

10kd
Explorer C

where did you see 100,000 to requalify for CP this year?  Your link indicates 125,000 points to get CP.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@10kd wrote:

where did you see 100,000 to requalify for CP this year?  Your link indicates 125,000 points to get CP.

The post containing the link was made in 2021 not 2022.

In 2021 gave everyone 25,000 CP bonus points. The net effect was that customers needed to earn 100,000 more to qualify..

gsking
Aviator C

You expect them to extend your CP for a year because you couldn't use it "for whatever reason"?

Sorry, that's not how life works.

I'm using my pass more than ever thanks to COVID.  Thanks, SWA.