Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Help

eatscorpions
Explorer C

Hello, 

I am 10K points away from companion pass.  This might seem like a dumb question but if I book a roundtrip business select fare (usually only fly wanna get away) and each way on that fare is 5,468 points will that "put me over the hump" and into companion pass status?   just seems like i should go ahead and pay the 1k for the airfares to earn the CP and not figure out other spending to get the 10K points i need on the card currently.

ive never bought a business select fare and was not sure how those points were counted towards CP.

does my plan work?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Help

tspasaro
Explorer C

When you book the flight as business class it will tell you the points earned, just double that number.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

So the simple answer to your question is yes, purchasing 2 flights that each yield 5000+ points would put you over the hump.  I would also ask how much value you plan on getting out of CP over the next 16 months (Sept '17-Dec '18).  Some people get thousands of dollars of value out of it and would benefit from the extra, upfront spend of $1000, but if you only plan on getting $1000 worth of free flights then your plan doesn't make much sense.  Since you also have 4 months of qualifying time remaining in the year, you could also continue to earn points through normal/necessary spend and Wanna Get Away fares/flights, reducing the extra spend required to get over the CP hump at the end of the year.  If you only plan on getting $300 worth of free flights between now and December, but through normal spend you can reduce the point gap to the point where you only need to buy $500 worth of Business Select fares at the end of the year, then you've saved money overall ($200 in this example).  Or if your planned companion travel isn't until later in the year, book flights for yourself now, continue your normal spend until closer to the companion travel date, and then upgrade a flight to get you over the hump, perhaps upgrading for only $400 instead of $1000, and then add your companion to the reservation.

Just a few thoughts, hope it helps you out.  And just because I've seen way too many people get confused, make sure you're looking at your CP qualifying points in your account and not total RR points.  CP points must be earned in one calendar year, January-December.  I'd hate for you to spend a bunch of extra money thinking you were getting CP and then have you learn you didn't qualify.

eatscorpions
Explorer C

makes a ton of sense thank you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Also the cost for the BS upgrade might be incremental - buy a WGA fare and reimburse that if this is for work, but then out of pocket pay the extra for BS upgrade which may be quite a bit less than $1,000 in net.

Note that if you upgrade from a WGA fare, then BS fare will not be refundable. So you can wait until things are certain, but do it more than 36 hours prior so that you get the boarding position.

The other question is how many of the remaining trips this year will the companion fly on - if it is a lot then it may be good timing to push the pace. If the rest of the trips this year aren't big candidates you could wait and do a strategic upgrade in October/November if needed.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.