Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Policy Loss for Entire Year

Lanmon
Explorer C

SWA Companion Pass policy needs to be reviewed...and changed!

In 2020 SWA increased the points to 125,000 for the Companion Pass Program so it was a challenge to achieve this goal.  I have a Companion Pass for 2020 and 2021.  

Due to Covid SWA extended the Companion Pass Program to June 30, 2020 then another extension to December 2021 for those people who had earned the pass in 2019.

SWA had the Companion Pass Program in 2021 for those passengers who earned 125,000 points in 2020.

I have the Companion Pass for 2 years (2020 and 2021) but SWA is only giving one year. Is that fair?  After earning 125,000 points?

What happens to those dedicated SWA passengers who earned a companion pass for 2021 and 2020?    

According to their Executive Office NO EXTENSIONS OR PERKS WILL BE OFFERED.  So technically numerous SWA customers will LOSE ONE YEAR OF COMPANION PASS.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Companion Pass Policy Loss for Entire Year

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @Lanmon. I am not sure when you spoke to the Executive Office, but it's possible there have been changes since then. Please Contact Customer Relations to see if there is anything that can be done for your specific situation. Thank you!

Nicole
Community Manager

Lanmon
Explorer C

I called SWA Executive Office and spoke to Esteban, employee # E135097.  He informed me the second 2020 companion pass is good for only this year.  And, the 2019 pass was a gift during Covid. He would not let me talk to a superior because he as was working from home.  My complaint would be noted and given to SWA for future education discussions.  There would be nothing done regardless.

SWA should satisfy their long term passengers.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can't even buy 2022 flights yet. Chill. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Lanmon wrote:

SWA should satisfy their long term passengers.

I'm satisfied 

-- passenger since March , 1978

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Complaining about an expiration in December 2021 makes no sense when it is currently January 2021.  Go enjoy your pass for this year and check back in December to see if an extension will be offered.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Complaining about an expiration in December 2021 makes no sense when it is currently January 2021.  Go enjoy your pass for this year and check back in December to see if an extension will be offered.

--TheMiddleSeat

At least get well into 2021 and see how it goes. You (the OP) managed to earn it in 2020 somehow so did you fly or not?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Lanmon
Explorer C

Because of Covid I was restricted to fly for several months.  My companion and I were only able to fly in September.

I feel SWA owes me two years of Companion Pass....for 2019 and 2020.  The 2019 was a carry over from 2020 to 2021.  So, I am using the 2019 pass.

I earned the 2021 Companion Pass (for achieving over 125000 points) but it cannot be used because SWA only issues one Companion Pass per year.

gsking
Aviator C

@Lanmon wrote:

I called SWA Executive Office and spoke to Esteban, employee # E135097.  He informed me the second 2020 companion pass is good for only this year.  And, the 2019 pass was a gift during Covid. .

HUH?  There was no second 2020 pass. And there was no "gift" 2019 pass because of Covid because Covid wasn't a thing until March 2020.

Either Esteban or you are very confused.

@Lanmon wrote:

I feel SWA owes me two years of Companion Pass....for 2019 and 2020.  The 2019 was a carry over from 2020 to 2021.  So, I am using the 2019 pass.

I earned the 2021 Companion Pass (for achieving over 125000 points) but it cannot be used because SWA only issues one Companion Pass per year.

"I feel (someone) owes me"...so much wrong with this statement.  You might consider checking your feelings with a little logic sometime.  I feel I should win the lottery too...but that's not going to improve my odds.

You can say you can't fly all you want, but that's either factually incorrect, or not SWA's fault.  Planes are flying.  YOU chose not to fly on them.  Tough break for all of us...things aren't as rosy as a normal year.  Would you also demand an extension if you wanted to fly to Key West but it was destroyed due to a hurricane?  No?  This is the same thing.  Act of God or whatever they call it in legalese.

My advice?  Quit your whining...it makes you sound petulant.  But if you must vent your soul on the Internet, try to get your facts straight first.  

gsking
Aviator C

Sigh,  I recommend you read existing posts before you repeat a common rant. 

And I think you're technically incorrect when you say anyone will "LOSE A YEAR OF COMPANION PASS".

That's factually inaccurate.