Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass Question

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

@15grandkids wrote:

If SW chooses to extend the companion pass for those who's pass expired in 2020,

why not extend the pass for those who have earned it during 2020 for the 2021 calendar year, to the end of 2022. Giving each member equal benefits.

We traveled and earned points and spending credits throughout 2020 and believe that should mean something.

2.  We have no idea what SW will do in 12 months.   No point in fretting over it now. 

Amen.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@15grandkids wrote:

If SW chooses to extend the companion pass for those who's pass expired in 2020,

why not extend the pass for those who have earned it during 2020 for the 2021 calendar year, to the end of 2022. Giving each member equal benefits.

We traveled and earned points and spending credits throughout 2020 and believe that should mean something.

@15grandkids We definitely recommend you Contact Customer Relations to share your concerns! 

Nicole
Community Manager

Companion Pass extension

WarriorsFan
Explorer C

Any news if Southwest will extend the Companion Pass that was earned in 2020 and expires Dec 2021?

Thank you!

Re: Companion Pass extension

dfwskier
Aviator A

@WarriorsFan wrote:

Any news if Southwest will extend the Companion Pass that was earned in 2020 and expires Dec 2021?

Thank you!

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lots of people are flying.- regularly at abut 2/3 o f the 2019 level . My flight yesterday was full. Midway airport was absolutely packed.

When people have the opportunity to actually use the pass, why would the airline want to extend the usage  date.

Re: Companion Pass extension

gsking
Aviator C

@WarriorsFan wrote:

Thank you!

Doubtful.   I suggest you use it now.   No reason not to.   Fares aren't getting any cheaper. 

(As I sit in Puerto Rico on a ticket that cost me $26 per person to get here, thanks to my CP)

phillipbean
Explorer C

Southwest has always been good to its customers, so I assumed they would extend passes for those, like me, who received CP right as the pandemic hit. I live in California, so no travel has been allowed that wasn’t essential. Now I’m questioning whether Southwest will treat us the same as those 2020 CP customers. If not, I think that’ll be the end of my SW loyalty. It’s too much work to stay loyal to a company that would be so unfair to its most frequent customers. 7 or so months of usage compared to 19 months is not at all fair. At least a 6-month extension would go a long way.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok, so then when do the extensions end? Make another extension now and then it's "not fair" for the people expiring next year who didn't get an extension. Not being able to use your companion pass as much as you would have liked is going to cause you to jump to another airline that doesn't even offer a companion pass option? Ok, whatever floats your boat. 

--TheMiddleSeat

phillipbean
Explorer C

Your argument does t make any sense. A pandemic is not starting now. It started the week I got my Companion Pass. Simply asking for at least some months of extension. And yes, I fly a lot of SW, sometimes when they aren’t the cheapest, because of how they take care of customers. Ignoring this huge loss of value from patronizing SW is kind of a slap in the face. Other airlines have many other benefits and incentives. CP is the best that SW has. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@phillipbean wrote:

Other airlines have many other benefits and incentives. CP is the best that SW has. 

Correction - CP s the best that ANY airline has.

With them you also get to pay seat fees and for your checked bags,  And don;t kid yourself  - 

they'll bring back ticket change and cancellation fees - fees Southwest has never charged.. Ah, the joys of the competition.

Oh, enjoy your future  CP at brand X airline.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@phillipbean wrote:

Southwest has always been good to its customers, so I assumed they would extend passes for those, like me, who received CP right as the pandemic hit. I live in California, so no travel has been allowed that wasn’t essential. Now I’m questioning whether Southwest will treat us the same as those 2020 CP customers. If not, I think that’ll be the end of my SW loyalty. It’s too much work to stay loyal to a company that would be so unfair to its most frequent customers. 7 or so months of usage compared to 19 months is not at all fair. At least a 6-month extension would go a long way.

A million and a half people are flying every day. Airports are packed again.The ski slopes and beaches were full for spring breakers. Please don't use the excuse that you can;t fly