Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass Question

phillipbean
Explorer C

Excuse me. I could fly, but I followed local laws and CDC protocols to help protect my fellow humans. I guess I should have just been gallivanting across the country this whole time? Yeesh. Didn’t know this was a board of corporate defenders. I was doing what most responsible people did and not travel unless essential. They extended previous year pass holders for a reason, a good reason. Simply asking for similar consideration, nothing more, perhaps way less.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've called out Southwest for their hit and miss handling of travel fund extensions so I'm hardly a corporate defender, but the "not fair" argument never sits well with me. It just sounds like whining. Enjoy your companion pass for the next 7+ months. Have you even thought that maybe you could just earn CP for next year?

--TheMiddleSeat

phillipbean
Explorer C

Can’t imagine an argument to explain why those who’ve had their pass for over a year get another year while those who never got to use theirs get zero extensions. Sounds pretty arbitrary, if you don’t like the term “fair.” And I’m not about to kill myself trying to get CP again in a very short window of time when I barely got to use this one. You’re very privileged to get so much travel out of half a year. I’m unfortunately employed full time and trips are a luxury. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes for just one second who worked very hard (and spent some real money) to get this amazing thing and then not be able to use it. Perhaps you get CP all the time. Others aren’t that lucky.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Flying is safe.

Substantiation:

1) The US Dept of Defense studied the situation and determined the risk for getting the virus on a plane is between 1-400,000 and 1 - 600,000 

2) Flight attendants have an  incidence of virus LOWER than the general population - and they spend their lives on planes.

I've flown something like 50 flights since May, 2020. The only time I felt at risk was last September in Denver when I had to board a full train at concourse C

People are flying and it is safe to fly. If you choose not to, that is up to you.

gsking
Aviator C

@phillipbean wrote:

I live in California, so no travel has been allowed that wasn’t essential. 

Huh?   I also live in California and flew over 50k miles last year.   I'm not sure where you're getting your information.   CNN?

Just getting home now from Puerto Rico.   It was full.   Idaho and Montana in the coming weeks, then Hawaii. 

Stop making excuses and go use that pass before it expires.   It's not Southwest's problem. 

phillipbean
Explorer C

Wow. Y'all are so very uninformed, but also near-conspiratorial and indifferent to human suffering. The point of not traveling during the pandemic is to avoid spreading infection (including asymptomatic) to more people during the entire process of traveling, not just flying. You pass through airports, taxis, trains, stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. when you travel. The flight is not what I was ever worried about, nor the main reason for the CDC nor the states to restrict travel. Pretty sad to see the types of people in this "community" forum so soon after I joined. 

gsking
Aviator C

@phillipbean wrote:

Wow. Y'all are so very uninformed, but also near-conspiratorial and indifferent to human suffering. The point of not traveling during the pandemic is to avoid spreading infection (including asymptomatic) to more people during the entire process of traveling, not just flying. You pass through airports, taxis, trains, stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. when you travel. The flight is not what I was ever worried about, nor the main reason for the CDC nor the states to restrict travel. Pretty sad to see the types of people in this "community" forum so soon after I joined. 

Wow, that's logical.   

So you fly,  but you run through the airport in a hazmat suit, then you run to your destination (no cars allowed), sleep outside (no hotels allowed), and eat off the land (no restaurants allowed), just to avoid covid? 🙄

So what you're really saying is all those OTHER businesses should shut down.   That would solve things.   Right?  Put those people out of work? 

Except when they did, it didn't help.   And when they didn't, it didn't make things worse.

So basically,  you're both wrong and nonsensical. 

But hey,  you're the one who cares about "human suffering", so you get a pass on being logical.   Because you care.  Sounds familiar. 

Pssst... the planes are full.   Guess the mean people got their way.   No point in crying here anymore,  right?   The battery for your virtue signal seems to be dying out anyways. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. This thread has gotten heated, and I want to take a moment and encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines. We want all Members to feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas here, and we ask that you follow the Golden Rule and treat other Community Members the way you would like to be treated. Keep your tone positive and your comments constructive.

Additionally, it's important to remember that not all advice is sound advice. While Members and Employees will do their best to help each other out, it is possible for information provided in the Community to be wrong, incomplete, or not applicable to your specific situation. Always apply good judgment and feel free to seek information from other sources.

Nicole
Community Manager