Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Question

Elliemalou
Explorer C

Once a companion is added to a flight, does that secure them a seat? I know a seat needs to be available for a companion pass to be added, but does that mean available when a companion is added or available on the day of the flight? I would not want my companion to be booted off because when I booked there were seats available, but then those seats got taken, so just double checking.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Question

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, the companion has a reserved space on the plane. Southwest no longer oversells their flights so unless there is an unexpected equipment change, no one with a reservation should be bumped or unable to fly. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Yes, the companion has a reserved space on the plane. Southwest no longer oversells their flights so unless there is an unexpected equipment change, no one with a reservation should be bumped or unable to fly. 

--TheMiddleSeat

There is one exception to that rule - one that does not happen very often.

If a SW crew must get to city B  , and your flight from city A to city B is full, then some passengers would be removed from the flight. Your companion's risk is no more than any other passenger's risk.

Why does this happen? Well, if the crew does not get   city B, then the flight out of city B get's cancelled and the remaining flights by that specific plane for the rest of the day also run the risk of being cancelled.

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

--TheMiddleSeat

My flight this past Friday was oversold due to a COS so they do over cell in certain circumstances. I was also personally bumped back in January because of a cargo situation they needed three people.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

--TheMiddleSeat

My flight this past Friday was oversold due to a COS so they do over cell in certain circumstances. I was also personally bumped back in January because of a cargo situation they needed three people.  

Forgot about that one. Yup, if the plane is over weight, then passengers, bags or cargo or some combination of them have to come off.