Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass help

FINCH
Explorer C

I'm sitting on 114,000 points and need 125,000 to earn Companion Pass.   What is the fastest way to get those last 11,000 points on my account before I lose it?  HELP PLEASE!  I have 9 days left in the year.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Companion Pass help

dfwskier
Aviator A

@FINCH wrote:

I'm sitting on 114,000 points and need 125,000 to earn Companion Pass.   What is the fastest way to get those last 11,000 points on my account before I lose it?  HELP PLEASE!  I have 9 days left in the year.

1) Use Southwest Hotels to find a hotel with a big points bonus and stay there - checking out this year.

2) IF YOUR CREDIT CARD HAS A BILLING DATE BEFORE YEAR END, spend enough dollars to get the number  or points you need. 

3) Take an Anytime of Business Select flight that gets you enough points. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

A hotel stay with bonus points would probably be the easiest way, Rapid Rewards Dining gives you 3 points per dollar spent last I looked and if you have signed up for Rewards for Opinions taking surveys could get you there, I just checked and it looks like they are taking new applicants! You get 500 points just for signing up and I believe they are offering a minimum of 50 points per survey for the holidays although you could get more. You'd have to grind and complete around 200 surveys at 50 points a survey lol. However, points may take up to 6 weeks to post (in my experience it takes less than a week) so relying on the surveys alone may be risky with only 9 days left. 

:edit: Rewards for Opinions is technically a "Rapid Rewards Partner" so I am not sure if that counts toward Companion. Still, sign up anyway, it's an easy way to earn points here and there. You can read about ways to get points and what qualifies here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html 

--Jessica

Ventura1629
Explorer C

You could also try southwest shopping. That’s what I’ve used to to try and get over the 125,000 mark before the end of the year. Points should typically hit in 3-5 days from purchase, however I’m still waiting on just over 10,000 of the 14,000 points from purchases I’ve made since the beginning of December. I submitted an inquiry on those missing points yesterday and was just informed it might take 4-8 weeks to resolve. 

as mentioned above, the hotel stay with bonus points might be your best option. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@FINCH wrote:

To get 11,000 points, quick, I’d look at:

• rocketmiles to book a hotel - it will be the premium room but probably can get 10,000 points. 
  • Southwest hotels
  • points run is always the most reliable and you get the points instantly…but at 12x for a business select you’d be looking at about $1,000 in fare.
  • Southwest shopping, great if you can find something you needed anyway Although the price may be higher you can get points that way.
  • I posted an end of year summary on another thread I don’t have the link handy but there are a few other options.

Good luck!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I did some shopping through Rapid rewards shopping and the points posted to my account 3 days later if you have shopping to do you could do that or as others have recommended book a hotel and enjoy a night on the town and earn the points you need to get the Companion pass. 

-Blake

Companion Pass help

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I understand that people are new to SWA point system every year, but we do see this question every single year and it's too hard to go back to a year ago and cut and paste.  There are all good answers on here, BUT, all are also subject to when the route you chose wants to post points.  I've stayed at hotels and didn't get my SW points from them for months, while others were within a week.  So that is hit or miss.  Same with dining, usually weeks, and shopping can take up to weeks as well.   At this point, depending on your billing cycle of the credit card, that may have passed and any points you get won't be posted until Jan.  I tried to reach the AList preferred.  At the start of Dec I needed less than 10,000 points and spent and spent on the credit card, but it wasn't enough and I fell short, even though I got 14K points from the credit card this month, not enough AList preferred points.  So I look at it as a lesson learned, maybe other than spending for premium hotels for the next week, in which you would be staying every night, you might just chalk it up to a learning experience.