Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass renewal timing

SWDigits
Aviator A

@BWIflyer wrote:

For ex: if you hit the requirements say mid 2019 for CP, you are good through 2020...the rest of your 2019 flights get you nothing but travel points and no CP credit. You have to wait until 2020 to start qualifying for CP again. Am I understanding that correctly?

The sequence of three statements quoted from your scenario are correct.

Customer | Home airport DCA

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thank you for your suggestion, @BWIflyer!  As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here. We encourage you to reach out with your suggestion via official channels following the steps below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@BWIflyer wrote:

Hi, question for you. Now that they have raised the bar on CP, wouldn't it seem fair to change the CP qualifier? For ex: if you hit the requirements say mid 2019 for CP, you are good through 2020. Why not have your flights keep qualifying through the balance of 2019 to continue to add to your CP bank? Otherwise, the rest of your 2019 flights get you nothing but travel points and no CP credit. You have to wait until 2020 to start qualifying for CP again. Am I understanding that correctly?

You are. Many CP holders switch their credit card earning to another program once obtaining CP, and/or begin utilizing points to purchase flights at that time if purchased filghts were previously an earning component.

baseballfan1985
Explorer C

2019 is my first year in the RR Program, and I just received notification that I earned the CP for 2020!

What happens to the 110,000 points I accumulated in 2019?  Do I need to "redeem" them for the CP?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@baseballfan1985 wrote:

2019 is my first year in the RR Program, and I just received notification that I earned the CP for 2020!

What happens to the 110,000 points I accumulated in 2019?  Do I need to "redeem" them for the CP?

No, you should see both the CP and the points in your online RR account.  The points are there for you to book travel for yourself or anyone you choose.

baseballfan1985
Explorer C

Thanks for the quick reply! One more question...can I use points for my flight, and use my CP for my companion? (Unsure if i must "purchase" my ticket in order to get a ticket with the CP.)

SWDigits
Aviator A

@baseballfan1985 wrote:

can I use points for my flight, and use my CP for my companion

Yes, absolutely.

SWAsusie
Explorer C

Geez, just when I think I've gotten the Companion Pass timing figured out, I read something else that confuses me.  My goal is to qualify for the Companion Pass in early 2020 so that we may enjoy it for the remainder of 2020 and 2021.  I will be applying for both a business card and a personal card in December, and begin using it on a limited basis then, with the bulk of the charges done so after the first of the year, since I will lose the points earned in December.   Is that correct?

Also, on SWA info re: Companion Pass, it states the following does NOT count toward CP:

• Points earned from program enrollment;
  • Promotion bonus points (with the exception of Rapid Rewards credit cards);
  • Partner bonus points (with the exception of Rapid Rewards credit cards. 

I guess I'm confused by their terminology.  Will the 70,000 enrollment points from the business credit card and the 40,000 points from the personal card count towards CP?

Also, I envision staying at a high-end hotel (booked thru SW website) in January to obtain up to 20,000 points (some may even be more).  From what I've read, these points should go towards the CP?

Please help!  Thank you!

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@SWAsusie wrote:

Will the 70,000 enrollment points from the business credit card and the 40,000 points from the personal card count towards CP?

Yes the count for CP.  Note that the enrollment points available in the offers are subject to change at any time.

@SWAsusie wrote:

Also, I envision staying at a high-end hotel (booked thru SW website) in January to obtain up to 20,000 points (some may even be more).  From what I've read, these points should go towards the CP?

No, according to the program terms & conditions, if they are bonus points, "Partner bonus points (excluding bonus points earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points".  However users have reported otherwise in the past.  I personally wouldn't count on them for CP but your mileage may vary.

Source: https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/tiers-more-companion-pass