Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass usage

christyb27
Explorer C

So I should have be earning my companion pass by the end of summer. I have a trip planned for October that I have already booked my flights for using RR points. I have a couple questions regarding using my companion pass on that same trip.

1. If I were to want to bring someone else with me on my trip using my companion pass- could I do that even if I have already booked my flight ahead of time? If so, is there a price limit for the cost of my companion pass ticket? (Say only business flights are available, and cost more- could I still get a ticket for a companion?)

2. As another option, would I be able to be reimbursed for one of my tickets purchased (getting the points used placed back into my acccount) and have one of those people as my companion for the trip?

Thank you so much! Just really would like to be able to take advantage of the companion pass but wasn't able to wait to book those tickets!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass usage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes. No. Yes. Yes. 

Got it? 

Ok, so to fully answer your questions, once you earn the Companion Pass you first designate your companion, then you can add a companion to any flight you have booked. It does not matter if you booked the flight for yourself before or after earning CP. In your list of upcoming flights each flight will have an Add Companion option. As long as there is a seat (any seat, any fare) available you can add your companion.

Canceling a points reservation always results in the points being refunded back to the account they came from. The taxes are typically held as travel funds, but can be applied towards the taxes on the companion's ticket (assuming the original points reservation was made for the person who is now the companion).

Just to make sure you understand, you designate a companion when you earn CP and you are allowed to change your companion 3 times within the calendar year. Travel booked for Companion A must complete before you can change to Companion B. If you change to Companion B before completing travel with Companion A, Companion A's reservation is canceled. Just want to make sure you don't think you can pick a different companion for every flight you take.

Does that answer all your questions? 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

christyb27
Explorer C

THANK YOU! That pretty much clears it up for me, but left me with ONE other question.

I know I can change my companion up to 3 times, but you're saying I can't change the companion until the flight is completed? Is that correct?

So if I want to have one companion for a trip in October, but want to book a trip in November with a different companion, do I need to wait until AFTER the October trip before I book flights for myself and my companion for November for my October companions flight to not be cancelled? Or will I be okay since my October flight with a different companion would be completed by the time I want to go on a November flight with my new companion?

Sorry if that seems confusing 🙂 Just want to maximize usage of my companion pass and while I want to use a specific person for my October trip, I would use the other person as my companion for any other trip.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can make your personal reservations for all the trips at any time, but you will need to wait until 1st trip completes before changing companion and then adding companion to your 2nd reservation.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Just wanted to add it can tale up to 10 business days to process the new companion after you make the change so you will want to make the change as soon as travel with the first companion is complete so it will be set for your November trip and you will get a new companion pass card in the mail.

Hope this helps

Blake